Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Can anyone tell me if I have an Ecu problem With my A4?

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for any comments left. I have an 95 A4 Turbo Sport (I know it's old but I love it still). Had a Starter motor failure that I had replaced. The mechanic couldn't get the car started and rigged a switch box to the battery so when the key was turned, you'd hit the switch and, hey presto(later found out it was a faulty ignition switch). Ran the car for a week like this and then the engine started shuddering, then the next day car broke down. Took it to another mechanic, they hooked it up to a computer and said coil pack 2 was giving off low readings, so they changed that coil pack. Car wouldn't start. Immobilizer and ignition switch had to be changed. Shuddering continued and they said the Ecu was at fault. So I bought another unit and sent both off and had the software installed into the new unit. That was meant to do the trick, but alas the shuddering continues.. could it be the software thats at fault and a new generic map needs to be installed on the ecu. Seems like all the mechanic side has been covered.. Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Find a new mechanic, because the one you've got just now is a useless mongo.

When does it shudder? Idle? Driving? Pulling away?

Given they diagnosed coil 2, and changed the coil which didnt help, i'd suggest trying another ICM (flat module mounted on top of the airbox, with two electrical plugs), as usually when the ICM fails it drops cylinder 2 first.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    i'd suggest trying another ICM (flat module mounted on top of the airbox, with two electrical plugs.)
    i'll second that.