timing belt change question

pjw

Reaction score
Ive got a timing belt on its way for my a4, after having a good look ive changed timing belts in the past with a lot less room to move to be honest.

Is it really necessary to move the front end or place it into the service position in order to do the belt? It looks like a hell of a lot of work in order to do a quick 8v belt.

Also is there anywhere to lock the fly when removing the crank pulley?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi its recommended you put it into service mode, i personally think its easier but if you can get at it without, will save you some time .Its been a while since ive done a 8 v on these but i don't think it was too bad of a job. Just make sure you replace the tensioner and check or replace the water pump while you are in there. As for the crank pulley, you shouldn't need to lock it off as the pulley is held on with 4 allen headed bolts. you can counter hold the crank with a socket on the end of the crankshaft bolt if necessary, that's how i normally do it.

Service position just moves the front panel forwards about 6 inches. You dont disconnect anything or remove any pipework, just take the bumper off, remove the bolts that hold the bumper brackets on and replace with a short length of threaded rod, and slide the carrier forward on the rod.

Really easy to do and gives you much improved access.

When i did the belt on the 1.8T i pulled the front panel off completely, mainly because i get The Fear when messing with timing belts, so wanted maximum access and visibility to ensure it was all perfect.

Do i still need to drain the coolant to put it in the service position then?

I can relate to The Fear when doing timing, i rememeber the first 8v one i did on an XR3i and i was bricking it when i started it up. To be honest on an 8v, i just rotate the crank about four times after timing to ensure its right.

Last edited:
no, service position doesnt require anything to be drained, you just move the panel forward a bit to give yourself more room to work.

Make sure you get yourself some M8 threaded rod for the panel to sit on though.

Yeah ive seen that, im sure ive got some at work. A lot of other people have suggested to either use the bumper bolts or just put the usual bolts on the last two threads if im stuck, but i think better safe than sorry!