Volks AutosBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

Petrol Warning Light

Does anybody know roughly how many miles can be done once the warning light has came on to say that you have low petrol?

I did have a look in the manual a while ago but I think said something like how much petrol was left, not a rough estimate of how far you could still travel. Just pretend I was driving at 60mph

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Re: Petrol Warning Light

won't be driving around on 0 miles then in future! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

Thanks for the replies..

The warning light came on whilst I was driving to work the other day. I had about 10 miles to go until the nearest petrol station, I was fairly confident I`d make it but at least I now know in case of a real emergency

I know its not really a good idea to let it get that low in the first place! I`ve also noticed that the needle tends to go from being just in the red to all of a sudden dropping right into it in the space of about two miles

I can get almost 200 miles on 20 of unleaded. I think thats pretty good. I do about 35 miles a day and don`t really go above 60mph

Status

Yes same here, 300 miles on 55 Optimax.

6th Gear

Status

Exactly the Same as AndyMac! On the motorway you should be able to to 500 + miles though. No better car for motorway driving but in the city....forget it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    fallmonk said:
    Hi mate ,
    im about 45 from the 1st red line , and that gets me roughly 300-350 mls generaly i just use the local esso dealler, but to be fair i have a "lead" foot ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Dear..... I must havea bigger "Lead Foot" then [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] . I too use local Esso Garage and in general, only get between 210 - 240 miles to a tank full (About 45). However my place of work is only about 2 miles away and therefore short distances 5 days a week.
    Totally agree though on long distances - did Great Yarmouth and back on one tank with fuel to spare when I got home (about 350 miles round trip).

Status

I found Optimax seems to give slightly better fuel economy, but you have to use it over a few tankfuls for the ECU to adjust.

5th Gear

Status

Cheers Andy and I have heard before that Optimax is better - Not just economy ut for the engine / performance. However where I live, it would probably cost me a tenner in fuel to get to the nearest shell garage and back !!! Can't believe it - There used to be loads of Shell garages near me and now, fcuk*n Tesco and Esso seem to have cornered the market in Derbyshire. Even Esso have now stopped doing there "Super" which was the same RON as Optimax I believe - I dont mind that bit extra if it's better for the car.

6th Gear

Status

Esso is 97 Ron same as BP Ultimate. Shell Optimax runs on 98 Ron hence a better all round fuel!

3rd Gear

Status

this weekend i finally realised im at a point in my life where im doing o.k cash wise....
    the petrol warning light and bleep came on and having never seen it before,i [censored] myself for a moment, wondering what was beeping ........
    makes a change from all those years of driving round on fumes !!!
    ha ha ha....