replacing read abs sensor

pjw

Reaction score
once ive replaced my sensor, do i just have to clear the fault codes using vagcom, or do i have to do anything else?

how do i know if its got the correct 'airgap'?

Shouldn't need to clear it IIRC. Provided you cleaned all the rust off the fitting and back of the hub, the gap will be fine. The tolerance on those things is a few mm.

Cheers,

Got it sorted, was quite a nice job to do. Instantly cleared the beeping, just had to clear the code off the controller and it never came back.

did it come out OK?
got two to do on mine but I cant get into my garage due to the snow!!

his is a FWD so quite different.

Yours WILL be a nightmare to remove! Its a plastic cased sensor mounted in a steel hole. The steel rusts and crimps onto the sensor.

Are you sure its a sensor fault and not a broken reluctor?

not yet no.
have two spare CV's from the front, are they interchangeable?
code shows something like "open circuit" or something like that

If its explicitly saying open circuit then it is probably a sensor failure as you've guessed. Mine had some vague no signal error, but didnt actually do the usual three beeps, just braught the ABS light on in the cluster and nothing else.

The front CV's are different afaik.

Mine was a chrome sensor inside a metal hole - Came out with some good wiggling, no problems at all.

However - once i took the car out on the road after clearing the fault, it came back as i drove which i presume is the reluctor ring. Sodding thing. So, ill have to replace presumably both disks, and therefore pads, (unless i can find a secondhand disk with equal wear - dodgy) to fix this error.

On top of that i predict the battery is on its way out as its struggling to start. When it rains it pours!

The fault for the ABS i had when the sensor was duff was no signal. Ill run a scan tonight and presumably ill get an intermittent signal from the reluctor now.

You might get away with just cleaning the reluctor, and making sure the air gap is correct.

Failing that, you can buy new reluctors from audi, they dont usually come with the disk.

Really? I didnt know that. I have had a go at getting a reluctor onto a driveshaft on a rover before, which ended in tears. Ill have to have a look on ETKA to see if i can find a part number. Think ill give it a clean first though :D The sensor is totally seated in the hole as the rubber bung that protects from weather is seated correctly too.

Thanks for the advice.