speakers

Danielson

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
hi, im thinking about upgrading my rear speakers to something a little more, well suitable. allthough the standard nokia ones hav lasted well. if i get some fairly beefy speakers im hoping to do away with my sub, extra weight and all that. can anyone reccomend some great sounding speakers which are reasonably priced. if i bin the sub i can still use the amp to power the rears. bring on andymac 4 some help. please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Unfortunately you'll never get anywhere near the bass of a sub whatever you mount in the rear deck. I'm sure JL Audio used to do a stealth shelf for the A4 which used a couple of 8" subs mounted underneath the rear deck in a custom enclosure, but they don't have it on their web site anymore. This would be the only real alternative, or a custom side pod for a 10" sub (auto acoustics do one). Apart from that powerful rear speakers won't produce enough punch (because of the size of the boot and air leakage etc) and will just confuse the sound stage which should be coming from the front speakers.

They're 6.5" but you need adapter rings to mount them as they are a peculiar fitting (not a flat profile). You can get the adapters from caraudiodirect and some big Halfords.
You have to remove the whole parcel shelf cover to get to them, it is held on with push fit plastic pop fittings, then with these released the whole tray slides out (once you've disconnected the cyclops brake light.

Just disconnect it, but make sure the live and remote on terminals are isolated/insulated so they can't touch the bodywork.

You have to run new speaker wire as there isn't any speaker cable going from front to back. You can't use the Audi amp to power new speakers as it's sh*te and you wouldn't get any benefit. So you'll need to run the new speakers from a new amp or off the head unit (if using an aftermarket HU).