Volks AutosChris Nott
    jcb
    6th Gear

Status

Vorsrung Durch Smugness

Anyone else driving around feeling particularly smug that their 4wd works when others dont!?

neighbours X5 looks stuck, drove past some very nervous volvo owners, not to mention the numerous BMW and Merc that I saw pretty much abandoned where they had stopped rather than parked!

very funny

2. # ADS
    ADS

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    not enough snow my way to see anyone abandon their cars yet... won't take the p as mine is only fwd.
    Izzy

Bora TDI sport
    Audi A4 TDI

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status
    I may only have an S3 but haldex 4wd is better than FWD prooved that with my neighbours 330D he got stuck i didnt.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    we have 12" in places. snowing again now. (Edinburgh)
    backroads and residential streets are off limits to FWD cars. great fun. if only I hadnt dropped the coilovers that extra 3/4"!

Reverse Gear

Status
    my 2wd audi 1.8t surpassed a a4 quattro last year but i think that was more driver than car lol

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by bogo View Post
    my 2wd audi 1.8t surpassed a a4 quattro last year but i think that was more driver than car lol
    The quattro driver must have been a proper twonk if FWD was able to outdrive him,lol

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    we have 12" in places. snowing again now. (Edinburgh)
    backroads and residential streets are off limits to FWD cars. great fun. if only I hadnt dropped the coilovers that extra 3/4"!
    My Mum lives up there and says she hasn't seen snow like it in 20 years. Down here in Liverpool we've seen feck all. Did love it back in Jan though when I was able to drive around wheelspinning fools stuck at well polished junctions. LOL
    Mo power, mo problems

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    Anyone else driving around feeling particularly smug that their 4wd works when others dont!?

neighbours X5 looks stuck, drove past some very nervous volvo owners, not to mention the numerous BMW and Merc that I saw pretty much abandoned where they had stopped rather than parked!

very funny
    Yeh I have had an extremely smug smile from ear to ear over the last 2 days Been grinning whilst passing stranded beemers and mercs even overtook a land rover disco yesterday going up a hill, to say he wasn't amused is an understatement

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Havent had a flake here yet

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    funniest one was at the end of my road where the narrow flattened bit of snow that everyone had managed to drive on was blocked by not one but two Luton utility vans, guy was waving at me to stop and I just drove up the side and round the back of them through all the thicker stuff.

I even had the courtesy to offer him a tow out through my open window as I cruised by..... he declined.

6th Gear

Status
    No snow here yet but despite wide tyres and only FWD I've rarely failed to go anywhere. Including up a hill that a 4x4 owner gave up on. Slow and steady with careful throttle use and away you go. Why do people always try to combat the wheels spinning by accelerating more????

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

1st Gear

Status
    Too true you have to feel the feedback and just keep it going where you want. Why do people stop before they try to get up the hill? Is it for the challenge or what!

1st Gear

Status
    The lad next door to me laughed at my a4 when I took him out in it saying his m3 would kick it's ass so bad he wouldnt bother toting with it on the road!! yeh it's only a 53 reg 190 quattro sport but he wasn't laughing today when I drove past his stuck ass in the snow!!!!! Will make a point of blasting past him again tomorrow!!! Quattro rocks!!!

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Status
    Its too deep for mine now.Its a plough! I have to clear my road a bit to get out as it just bellys rf i might feck my front bumper.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    yeah mine is scraping a tad!

Am going to keep a tally of cars I have pulled out!
    so far today:

Toyota Avensis
    Mercedes Sprinter

They seem to think I am doing out of some sort of huge generous streak. I am not. ****ers keep blocking my road like this and I will be walking out everywhere!!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranoco View Post
    Why do people always try to combat the wheels spinning by accelerating more????
    Because 99% of drivers are complete retards with no desire to actually improve their driving. They get in and drive. They have little to no idea of how the various parts of the car actually work, and their retard brains simply think "accellerator makes you go, if your not going, press the accellerator more"

Snow driving isnt actually taught to anyone, its something you need to work out for yourself by reading, learning, practicing etc.

We made the mistake of taking the FWD up a slightly less used road last year in the bad snow, and were doing fine, until on approach to a blind crest dawn saw something coming and stood on the brakes. Now i'd taken the time to explain to dawn about driving smoothly, using higher than normal gears to keep the revs down etc etc, and she'd got all that down to a T, unfortunately she'd now stopped on a hill, and a pretty steep one at that, a few yards away from a blind-crested single lane hump back bridge. No amount of feathering the thorttle and using 2nd was going to get the car moving again, especially as she was having to hold it on the handbrake to stop it rolling back into the growing queue of cars behind her, and the front tyres were nearly-worn-out Eagle F1's.

At this point the cars behind all decided that the best course of action was full throttle wheelspintastic overtake meer yards from said blind bridge (which somehow actually worked for them), so we waited for them to feck off, then i got out and with me pushing and dawn feathering the clutch in second managed to get some forward motion. Still managed to nearly get taken out by a van who stopped at the other side when he saw us coming, then after waiting for about 3 seconds decided we were approaching too slowly for him, and blasted across the bridge missing us by inches.

I took the opportunity afterwards to explain to dawn that you should NEVER stop on a hill unless you really cant help it

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    add a Fiat punto to that list!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Had a lot of fun in Edinburgh at the weekend. My 2.5TDI Quattro is unstoppable - well, apart from the wee plastic undertray that came unclipped and eventually fell off half way down the M74. I seem to recall my last 2 A4s also had these plastic undertrays that came loose. Might fabricate an aluminium replacement that is more up to the job.

3rd Gear

Status
    same here my s3 has been a trooper with non winter tyres fitted,love the fact i can go anywhere and shovel the snow out of the way lol
    James
    Silver Audi 8L S3
    97 Fireblade fully restored ...just for summer!
    My old Corrado VR6 Turbo... Click me for the build DIY style!
    and many many cars and bikes in the past!!

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    my front splitter has been acting as a snow plough today.
    Man in a Merc G Wageny thing was most upset as I laughed at him spinning all four wheels trying to get out of a junction!

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Status
    Yesterday i couldnt get out my road till i dug away some snow. It was just too deep! My car is fairly low and the s4 bumper is quite deep. I had to jack it up at the front earlier to dig snow out that it scooped up reversing up my drive.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    quality!!
    another 4 inches last night.
    bring on the drifting

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    that's a good amount of snow there. we just have a light dusting here and people are crying.
    Izzy

Bora TDI sport
    Audi A4 TDI

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    more cars to add to the recently towed casualties:

Alfa 147
    Corsa van and.......... "da der da der da dahhhhhh"...

a Freelander!!

Admittedly the guy had bald tyres and was a prat, but never the less...

made my feckin day!!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    We have had our regulation 3 flakes for the year. Shame, i really wanted to test the torsion/ EDL etc properly

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Status
    You have EDL? sure i dont.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    pretty sure I dont have any of the electrical stuff!
    apart from that fact that I have an ABS code so if I do it aint working at the moment!

I almost looking for stuff to get stuck in now! most of the snow is deep enough that I am ploughing through with the bottom of the front bumper.
    had a few close calls but a few rocks back and forth and it was business as usual.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    There are only two ABS control units listed for Quattro cars, one with EDL and one with EDL and ESP.

As such, you will have EDL.

Obviously in Ed's case it wont be active if the ABS is offline.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    doesnt seem to stop it in snow

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    OMFG!!! a couple more inches of snow and the city grinds to a halt. no bin collections for a week and they decide in their wisdom to try and do it during rush hour on amonday morning when it is chucking it down with snow!

took me 2 hours to do about 10 miles due to morons not being able to lift off the accelerator or use second gear.
    Absolutely stunned at the number of cars that have no transport hooks at the front and the owners who have "lost" the screw in eye!!

nearly had mine biggest casualty of the week on thursday. A Discovery 4!!

slight camber, 6 inches of snow and summer tyres, combine that with stupid auto system and even more stupid driver and it was well and truly stuck.
    Even I was gobsmacked that anyoen could get one of those stuck, but I saw a Range Rover do exactly the same thing in the same street.

no point having 4wd if you show them in 20" slicks!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    It snowed here on friday for about an hour, then stopped. Roads remained clear, with about half an inch on the pavements. Then it rained saturday morning and it all vanished

1st Gear

Status
    Well with all this snow about I'd like to take advantage of my Quattro... so I left it 150 miles away and am using the BMW with TCS switched off.
    Until it gets serious(roads are busy) then I switch it back on and amaze myself at how crap it is when you actually need it :-)
    Times like this I really miss the Mk2 Esky.

wil be visiting the Quattro later in the week but suspect the snow may have gone from where it's residing these days.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    getting a bit bare on the main roads here.
    Am deliberately using side roads for the fun factor and to avoid the morons

pjw
    1st Gear

Status
    Ive seen cars stuck and abandoned when mine goes fine. Big assed wide tyres and the actual knowledge on how to drive in snow and ice for the win. Women blasting about and spinning wheels all the time make me laugh.
    Paul

Purpur A4 B5 - -50mm - S4 Interior - RS6 Alloys - 3" Stainless Exhaust - K&N Intake - HID

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    I pulled an Izuzu flatbed truck out today!! bit of a struggle, need to get myself some of that industrial bungy cord for the "inertia method".

pissing myself laughing when i managed it though.
    same workmen I helped last week in a transit!

still covered in snow here, fecking council should be burned at the stake for the lack of effort

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    i've seen the "inertia method" rip the rear cross member out of landrover defenders, as well as snapping tow bar hitches and similar.

Not a good thing to employ on some randoms vehicle imo, as if you do damage it, you'll be held liable.

Guy on the landrover forum just the other day posted saying he'd helped tow a ford ka up a hill, cept Mr Ka thaught he'd help out, by revving the engine more or less to the limiter in 1st gear as he was being towed. This was completely ineffective, until reaching the top of the hill the Ka got grip, rocketed forward and ploughed into the back of the defender...

Defender had a slightly scraped tow hitch, ka had no front end left. Owner of the Ka then started shouting the odds at the landrover driver for "stopping and making me run into you" and took the guys insurance details etc.

Be interesting to see what the insurance make of it, it was obviously the Ka's fault, but the responsibilites get a bit fuzzy when towing.

Owner

Status
    My car has been ok in the fresh snow but when it has started icing over has been a lot tricker. These worn goodyear eagle f1's are not too good in the snow and ice.

I have been thinking of getting some of those Dunlop winter 3d tyres for these alloys when the last of these f1s wear down, 600 and odd quid is a lot though when they will get used for about 4 months of the year.
    A4 1.8T Quattro

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I got mine on german ebay.

Recon they cost 400 all in, so a decent saving over new, and they all had >7mm on them.