Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
    pjw
    1st Gear

Status

car struggled to start this morning

hi all, we had some snow yesterday and it was minus temperatures most of the weekend. the car was running fine and starting fine friday, but when i went to start this morning it struggled to fire.

the starter turns fine, so i dont think its the battery, it just sounded like it was running on two cylinders, then chugged for about ten seconds, then kicked in and started running if not a little chuggy when it was cold.

is there anything common i should be looking at? its a 1.6 petrol, does it have coilpacks or a dizzy cap?
    Paul

Purpur A4 B5 - -50mm - S4 Interior - RS6 Alloys - 3" Stainless Exhaust - K&N Intake - HID

2. # ADS
    ADS

DOPE with added OCD

Status
    I would put it down to the cold weather - try starting it again in a bit now that you've driven it and see how it is...

Mine took a few seconds longer than normal but once warm it's ok

Best of luck

Chris

pjw
    1st Gear

Status
    Yeah just been outside and gave it another go, started fine first time. Just wanted to see if i could diagnose the part or system thats affected by the cold so much as i live in scotland, and this will be standard weather for about the next six months!

just a bit paranoid that one morning it will just kill the battery and ill be stuck.
    Paul

Purpur A4 B5 - -50mm - S4 Interior - RS6 Alloys - 3" Stainless Exhaust - K&N Intake - HID

DOPE with added OCD

Status
    I know what you mean about the battery - it could be worth jumping in your car in the evenings for five/ten minutes and either run it outside (ideally without the lights etc on) and with a few revs or take it round the block for a spin if its safe to do so.

Cold weather can damage batteries for sure but with a bit of tlc i'm sure you'll be fine mate

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Sounds ignition related.

No idea what the 1.6 engine has, but look at the plugs, leads and rotor arm/distributor cap if it has one.

Its much harder to ignite the fuel when its stone cold, so some worn out components will only raise their heads in this weather.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

pjw
    1st Gear

Status
    Thanks, i need to get under the bonnet. THink ill start with the plugs, not sure if its got individual coilpacks or a cap, but ill give it a look and post back. Thanks for the tips :D
    Paul

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Change the leads too. That's about it for the ignition system on a 1.6, it's pretty antiquated tbh. At least there is no dissy or anything to worry about

pjw
    1st Gear

Status
    You say its not dissy, it is individual coilpacks for each cylinder?

I cant get outside as theres a miniblizzard at the moment. Finnily enough the haynes manual i have doesnt seem to have much info in it about the 1600. Im going to have to search for that EPC cd ive seen kicking about. EKPA or something?

Im happy its antiquated to be honest, ive been used to working on Rover/MG for the last 9 years, this is my first 'complicated' car ive had :D
    Last edited by pjw; 29th November 2010 at 12:40.
    Paul

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    It has a single coilpack thing/block mounted to the block for them all iirc.

Plug leads then to the plugs

ETKA and ELSAwin are what you need.... :-)