New Audi owner with odd coloured A4

pjw

Reaction score
Hi to you all, just got this A4 today. I would have thought with the colour (essentially pearescent red/pink) it had a respray, but its the complete car thats in this colour, and all the original Audi stickers are present, no overspray, even down to the tiniest interior detail its all in this colour. I was informed by the previous owner, as you always are, this is the original colour. I doubt it - but would love to learn more.

It has a few niggles, beeps on startup which ive read could be the alarm backup battery failed - and the button press on the key doesnt do anything as the insides of the key is knackered. Hopefully i can repair this or find another key somewhere i can transfer the gubbins.. And reprogram the key. Lastly the cover for the drivers lock has come away, should get a replacement handle but need to find out the colour of the paint first!

Where is the paint code on these please?

Also its got white RS6 19" alloys which i plan to refurb the front two and paint black. Full tax and MOT, full S4 interior, leathers etc.. Like driving a sofa! Love the car, cool colour, nice alloys and exhaust and a little bit lowered. Doubt theyre genuine but ill have a look on the back.

With the paintjob and alloys being a bit odd, would love to know if anyone recognises it. On the number plate it says "M3 RIP, 1997-2006" for some reason.

2261836-1.jpg

Where did you buy it from? Im sure i have seen one like that in perth.

The lad who had that is on here, cant remember his username though.

Yep that car was on here very recently. The guy started a thread about opinions on what colour he was thinking about spraying the wheels, and the colour of the car itself. If you look a page or two back you will find the thread.

Purpur Pearl apparently. Funny how the last owner has put the same posts up too. Hes spent a lot on it for its last MOT - wheels have had a fair bit spent on them by putting them white pearl. Anthracite i think :D

Needs a drivers door handle, think the backup battery in the alarm is duff (got INs2 on the dash, four beeps on startup and alarm is quiet), need a replacement mirror switchpack and i want to upgrade the centre console.

Its got a load of S4 stuff on it, such as trim inside and the wheels are RS6, but i havent had them off to see if theyve got a code or the four circles on the back. Been looked after but needs a little tidyup of the paintwork. Not sure if i can get a rattlecan in that colour but will have to have a look.

The back up battery won't be broken as you don't have one seeing it's prefacelift.

Ins2 is it telling you to book it in to Audi immediatley as it'ds due a service.... Seeing it's been done you can get it cleared with VAG-com. The 4 beeps comes from where in the car?

Cheers for that, it comes from the dash, seemingly from the gauge cluster.

One other point, and to be honest the only major point i have with it is the fact that the keys knackered and wont activate the central locking with a button press - works fine with a key turn. The little chip is in there, just the glass of the infrared bit has been smashed. It looks mega basic - can i just get another working key and swap the gubbins?

Last edited:
Will just go out and have a look.

Saw the original post, it holds true to what i was told when i got the car. Would be interested to see any more by him, to see if there anything else. Seems all good though.

Last edited:
No no symbols, no other lights just three loud beeps (sorry not four, my mistake) and underneath the mileage it says "In 2"

three loud beeps means theres a fault with something major, often ABS or similar.

Does the ABS light come on as expected?

Also, does the car have a DIS?

Doesnt have a DIS, and now ive noticed it doesnt have an ABS light at startup. Seems like your right. ****** me off a treat as its only just passed an MOT on the 5th, so im guessing it didnt have one there either..

Ill see tomorrow if its a fuse out, i presume thats the reason the lights not coming on and staying on. Ive ordered a VAGcom cable and software thingy so that should turn up in the next few days to help. No great shakes anyway, if the MOT man missed it that only means another year until it needs sorting ;)

Probably somones removed the bulb...

If it had a DIS it would have a big flashing symbol in there telling you what it beeped for, probably a (!) indicating braking system.

VAGCom scan of the ABS module should get you started.

Is a DIS retro-fitable? I do love the car but some of the electrics are a bit old fasioned, and would love something more up to date in the dash or the centre console.

Ill have a look when this vag cable and soaftware turns up, thanks for the help though really appreciate it :D

One other point, and to be honest the only major point i have with it is the fact that the keys knackered and wont activate the central locking with a button press - works fine with a key turn. The little chip is in there, just the glass of the infrared bit has been smashed. It looks mega basic - can i just get another working key and swap the gubbins?

you sure its deffo a remote?

seem a few people confuse remote locking with a wee lightbulb, which is only there so you can find the keyhole in the dark.

I may have done just that! Its just one button on the key.. When i loook inside theres no chipboards or anything theres just a broken bulb i presumed was an infrared sender.. You know what they say about presumption though!

ye its just a bulb :p

I retrofitted a remote locking kit to the old avant from RightClick. Works well and even comes with fake Audi look-alike flip keyfobs.

The non-DIS dashes do look pretty ancient with their four huge square warning lights. The DIS may well be retrofittable, just depends how handy you are with the wiring as theres quite likely lots of differences in the loom. Certainly not insurmountable, but not really something you'd want to be paying to get done. You'll also need to add the bulb monitoring thing and perhaps the sensors for the screenwash etc.

Does sound like the previous owner was rather naughty with the missing bulb/MOT/selling on to you thing. I wouldn't be happy at all about this.

Not really that fussed, just been shopping and a whole new ABS unit is only £45. Im hoping the VAGCOM will tell me the exact fault, parhaps down to the sensor or reluctor ring for a fix. Not many people buy a car without inheriting a problem, and for me this one abs problem isnt that much. Just hope it comes up on vagcom.

Not really that fussed, just been shopping and a whole new ABS unit is only £45. Im hoping the VAGCOM will tell me the exact fault, parhaps down to the sensor or reluctor ring for a fix. Not many people buy a car without inheriting a problem, and for me this one abs problem isnt that much. Just hope it comes up on vagcom.

Wow whole abs unit for only £45.... where's that from ?

I understand the inheriting a problem comment. But usually the seller doesn't go out of his way to falsely get an MOT and then not tell the buyer of the issue as well.

Have you checked for a fuse?

It may well act differently with the fuse fitted, which might give you a better idea of whats happening?

All over ebay audi a4 b5 abs items - Get great deals on Vehicle Parts Accessories, Replacement Part items on eBay UK!

Not that pricy, obvisouly im talking about secondhand as opposed to new but lets be honest - how often is the whole unit thats gone? I imagine it will be a reluctor ring or sensor.

Youre right, it shouldnt have passed. The bulb being on is a check if the system is fitted.

Ah, right I see salvage units. Sorry I thought you were on about ones that are known to work, not just hacked of a broken A4. There is a well known fault with ABS units. BBA-Reman take units on exhange and fix them.

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=35

Last edited:
Have you checked for a fuse?

It may well act differently with the fuse fitted, which might give you a better idea of whats happening?

Not yet. Tomorrow morning is the planned 'rip apart' time. Sounds like it needs a rear axle bush too. Not sure who tested this.. But he needs to look in his manual!

Ive a feeling it will be missing the fuse, rsulting in the lack of a bulb. Dont think anyone would have gone to the lengths of removeing the bulb. Hopefully if thats what it is, ill feel it kicking in early or something.

Thanks for the link, £100 isnt that bad imo.

Do you know what suspension setup is on the car, coilovers or just on lowering spring with uprated shocks?

Not sure of whats under the arches yet, im planning on getting out there tomorrow and having a good nosey round it as i havent yet! I hoped that as it had failed an mot, it would have needed that bush replaced, and checked to pass the test.. either way somethings amiss back there. if its a bush its no great shakes.

Saw all the threads from before thanks aragorn, i just wonder the professionalism of the tester who gave it a green slip..

Rear beam bushes are no real biggy. Got my mate to do mine as truth be told I couldn't be bothered with fannying about under the car. He did my bushes on his ramps and I made tea for the boys and generally got in the way. lol

Had a lot of things to bits, slowly as im an audi virgin - but i have to say theyre built well!

Its sitting on springs, not coilovers. Happy with that really as i hate the ride coilovers give. Just want to get it on the ramps now to make sure no damage has come to the suspension bushes due to it being constantly lowered.

As for the ABS, fuse is intact but upon removal of the gauge cluster theres three bulbs missing. Whever did it was lazy in my opinion, as they have just removed the binned the carriers too, leaving me with no way to get bulbs in. Airbag, ABS, and (!) which i presume is the handbrake light are all away :(

Can anyone recommend a place i can get three bulb holders from? Once the vagcom turns up ill diagnose the problem(s) and get it fixed. How it passed the MOT with these removed is anyones guess.

Also confused myself a little as theres no switched live for the headunit - odd! Ill have to take a lead off fuse 5 to the cd player i have installed, as one day ill forget to take the front off and the battery will drain, i can bet money on it.

Well, as with any car theres problems to sort out but without you guys i wouldnt have unearthed them. Annoyed at the previous owner but a little more at myself for not noticing initially.

Or from Audi, they wont be expensive...

Early cars dont seem to have an ignition live, i used a feed from 75X in central electrics, and a relay to create a switched live for the old avant.

Yes the holders are part of the bulb, about £2.50 each from dealer. I remember being charged £35 by Audi to replace one of them during a routing service (that was the last time I ever went to a main dealer)

I managed to get a bag of ten off ebay for £5.50 delivered. Got to get them in, but its going to open the door to the next problems!