AH FabricationsBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Missing ABS ECU question

Hello

I've now had my B5 2.5TDi for 6 months and am really happy with it generally, however when I bought it it was missing the ABS ECU/Module. As I'd seen loads on ebay and the like for sensible money I wasnt too worried and intended to pick up a replacement.

HOWEVER! Having scoured eBay and contacted local (and national) Audi breakers I cant find one that matches my code!! Now time is of the essence as the MOT is due in January and its not gonna pass with a big flashing (!) in the middle of the dash and an obvious gap in the engine bay!

Anyway to get to the point. My code is 8E0 614 111 H

What does the "H" mean? The car has "ASR" which I think is a form of traction control.

If I was to fit an ABS module without the "H" would the fault on the dash clear and the ABS work but mybe the ASR wouldnt?

Help please!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Space Cowboy

Status
    the abs and asr are functions of the same hardware mate. Afaik the abs is not an mot requirement, only that the brake force is even and sufficient to pass the test. If the right ecu were used then both functions would return, but cant say about others, may need coded to the car using vag com or vcds.

without abs you still have normal brakes. Its a modulator pump and controller thats all.

would be better to have abs than not but you may need the exact same one as the car came with.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    If a car was sold with ABS fitted it must be present and working.

For ease your really want to find a matching ecu, you may find the H has been superceded now though, and there may be other numbers that are the same.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Neutral

Status
    Might be worth searching for the Bosch part No. as well which is 0 265 220 481.

Cheapest one on Ebay is this ABS Steuergert 8E0 614 111 H / 8E0614111H on eBay (end time 29-Nov-10 17:58:44 GMT)

1st Gear

Status
    ABS warning light on is a MOT failure.

Space Cowboy

Status
    ah ok sorry lads I stand corrected. Never had a failed abs but I did get a pass with the airbag light on a car, thought it may be the same as the brakes still work as intended with the abs disconnected.

B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

6th Gear

Status
    nope, im an mot tester the light needs to follow correct on with ing on.... then off with starting characteristics.
    airbag systems are a passive safety feature, so not an mot failure. (ie; wont stop you having an accident) abs systems are an active safty feature (can stop you having an accident!) and so fail......

tho due to vosa's short sightedness and inconsistancies.......... a damaged seat belt fails an mot...... surly that comes under the same bracket as airbag lights? being a passive safety feature???? hang on dont get me started on the bullsh1t surrounding mot's.....

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The airbag light is being braught in as part of the test in the near future, along with a pile of other amendments aimed at making the test more consistent with the rest of europe.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the responses, looks like I'll have to try and get a matched code one way or another. Seen a few on eBay but was being tight ;-)

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Just checked for you, and the "H" code is superceded to "J".

So H or J will work.

H/J were only fitted to AFB and AKN engined cars (2.5TDI) as these were the only FWD models fitted with ASR

You can find them in A4's A6's and A8's

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status

Reverse Gear

Status
    This very one is fitted on my car now! I saw it just before you posted this - thanks anyway! All works fine, I no longer have the annoying chime and flashing warning everytime I start the car. And my ASC button works, just in time for the pending snow........ if it ever arrives.

All the response has been appreciated, cheers!!