re maps and custom re maps

stranksy

audi golfer
Reaction score
Hi all could someone explain the difference,pro's & con's, between re maps and custom re maps.

generic "off the shelf" remaps are if you like a average setup which achieved decent results on most cars. Therefore regardless of the mods on your car you will end up with the same power. They are sufficient for most.

Custom maps are exactly that custom, they done according to any mods you have on ur car and tweaked accordingly to squeeze as much power as possible from you current setup. Custom maps are required when carrying out big mods such as hybrid turbos etc.

think of it as a book.
standard remap gives you the book off the shelf. all the info for increased performance based on your stock engine. a flash file that is plug and play. no dyno offered or required. Revo is a good example. if you dont like it you can buy the trial and have it removed 9although I hear that can feck up your car and actually lose power!)

next is a tweaked/custom remap, which is basically tweaked slightly based on a rolling road test to see how you car performs with the off the shelf map. it may change boost levels, timing etc etc albeit slightly it is specific to the mods or performance of your car. unless you have gone a long way from stock it probably wont increase the performance much from that of the "off the shelf" tune.

these are what most people get when they get a remap.

truly custom remaps come with stand alone engine management where the base file is really only there for you to drive to the dyno and have the rest of the "custom map" loaded based on the specific needs of the car/driver. they are not loaded with anything specific to any particular engine and are basically blank notebooks that you need to write in.

Thank you both,
I have not long joined and I know a little bit about cars but its great to have people like yourselves sharing your your wisdom with us mere mortals,cheers Stranksy.

think of it as a book.
standard remap gives you the book off the shelf. all the info for increased performance based on your stock engine. a flash file that is plug and play. no dyno offered or required. Revo is a good example. if you dont like it you can buy the trial and have it removed 9although I hear that can feck up your car and actually lose power!)

next is a tweaked/custom remap, which is basically tweaked slightly based on a rolling road test to see how you car performs with the off the shelf map. it may change boost levels, timing etc etc albeit slightly it is specific to the mods or performance of your car. unless you have gone a long way from stock it probably wont increase the performance much from that of the "off the shelf" tune.

truly custom remaps come with stand alone engine management where the base file is really only there for you to drive to the dyno and have the rest of the "custom map" loaded based on the specific needs of the car/driver. they are not loaded with anything specific to any particular engine and are basically blank notebooks that you need to write in.

Probably one of the best overviews I have seen on a forum of the process. This is what I do for a living and couldnt agree more.... All be it we do run our standard remaps on the dyno regardless and if the car needs a tweak it gets it.

Andy

think of it as a book.

Probably one of the best overviews I have seen on a forum of the process. This is what I do for a living and couldnt agree more.... All be it we do run our standard remaps on the dyno regardless and if the car needs a tweak it gets it.

Andy

Last edited:
oooh, now thats a good question....

develop a good map to start with, or there are some bits of software that can run emulators....

Yep. It makes me wonder when people say they're having a custom remap for their B5, as its nowhere near as simple as it is on newer cars.

I quite fancy an ME7.5 conversion using a TT/S3 ECU so i can have Wideband, EGT sensor and OBD Flashing all in a nice stock ECU thats fully compatible with the cars existing electronics.

Only reasonable explanation is that the operator runs and logs AFR / Boost / Possible Knock and then program a known map to suit the desired changes. With experience this can usually be done in 2 or 3 changes.

hmmm, so i assume from reading this that on my 96 AEB powered a4, to have a custom map im gonna need a chip?

i had been advised otherwise and told my ECU is mappable, which did surprise me but the person who told me seemed to have a good rep.

Not only does the '96 ECU require a solder in chip, it uses uses a rare and more or less obsolete ROM thats pretty hard to find, and to make things even worse, its a "write once" chip, so any iterative changes to the map like Andy describes would require a completely new chip each time, rather than just reflashing one for each iteration.

would it be easy enough to fit something like a TT ecu?

whats involved in coding the immobiliser and can it be done with something like VAGCOM

Last edited:
You can use an ECU from an early AGU engined A3 which is bench flashable afaik. You will need to change the engine bay wiring harness to the later 97> type though, as the ECU plugs are different.

Immo coding is pretty simple with your IMMO1 system, you just need vagcom.

TT and later A3 ECU's are Drive-by-wire. Not insurmountable, and as i mentioned above i fancy fitting one of these to my car at some point, but its a bit more work than dropping the A3 ECU in.

are the sensors the same or would i need them as well? i know of a later AGU engined car breaking nearby but its handy to know exactly what i need before i go.

I think everythings the same, bar the MAF sensor, you'll need the A3 MAF (or one from a later A4)

You'd need the loom from an A4 though, the A3 loom will be the wrong shape and probably have the wrong plugs.

i know of a later a4 as well actually, ill check what engine type it is.

i was considering standalone management to make the most of the modifications/mods i plan to add.