Volks AutosSky Insurance

Thread: 6 Speed

6th Gear

Status

6 Speed

Anyone know if the 6speed box from the later 1.8tqs will fit the earlier 5 speed tqs?

What are peoples thoughts is it even worth it to gain a few more mpg on the motorway?
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/43296-bit-project-going.html
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    yes but you need the rear diff and I belive the box hanger on the passenger side is different but easy to swap.
    I looked at it but there where a lot of extra bits you need to fit it and I couldnt be arsed.

MPG is not really high on my priorities but it is doable.

better off getting an S4 B5 box and diff arent you?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    AFAIK the box will fit (so long as you use the 01E, some later cars use a different box)

The problem will be matching the rear diff ratios. You'll need to find out the ratio of the front diff in the box, and then see if theres a B5 rear diff that matches it.

You can also use an S4 box, but again you'll need a matching rear diff (which iirc you can get from a 2.6 Quattro, as well as the S4)

As for fuel savings, IMO its going to be minimal. The majority of the fuel consumption on the motorway is aerodynamic drag, friction from the tyres etc. Slowing the engine from 3500 to 2900rpm is not going to change much, and if you drop it too much you end up below the boost threshold and economy disappears.

Most petrol 6 speed Audi boxes are designed to have a better spread of gears, with the top cog not being THAT much different. 80mph in an S4 is about 3000rpm, whereas 80mph in a TQS is about 3500.

As a mod to gain an extra gear and perhaps reduce engine noise slightly on the motorway, sure, but i wouldnt go fitting it for fuel savings, as you will be dissapointed.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Oh thats a good point, S4 box uses a different gearbox mounting on the nearside. Not sure which mount the B6 uses, you may/may not be able to use the B6 mount with your existing subframe, or alternatively swap the frame out for a V6 one.

6th Gear

Status
    Cheers chaps, it was just a thought thats all as i do a lot of Mway miles and thought it might help as the 6th gear has been know for economy. If i could get an S4 box and diff it should all work then
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43296

Neutral

Status
    Why not get a 2.8 5 speed transmission or a 01A from a TDI? The B5 A4 2.8 transmission has slightly taller gears(1st-5th).

When going to a non 01A transmission you will need the rear end and drive shaft. You will also need the front axles unless you change the front flanges.

Also on the 01E S4 transmissions, they have taller gears and are designed for a V6TT with plent of low end tq. It is a stronger box. You can also use the transmission out of a B6 S4 4.2, but will need the rest of the drivetrain to use that.

6th Gear

Status
    Seems like a lot of work for a possible low gain. I'm sure someone on here put a 6speed in their 1.8t fwd and said they could reach over 400miles per tank. This is why I was looking into it.
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43296

Neutral

Status
    Well lowering the rpms too much on a 1.8t can cause worse gas mileage because it forces you to give more throttle to hold that speed.

The 2.8 01A 5 speed will drop the rpms about 300-400 while in 5th gear at about 80mph. It can give maybe a 2-3 mpg gain over the 1.8t 5 speed. Problem is it will also make your car slower pulling thru the gears.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    5th on mine is often worse on the DIS than 4th at certain speeds.

6th Gear

Status
    If you want 400+ miles per tank then buy a diesel...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    ha ha.
    I am lucky to get 250 to a tank the way I drive normally

6th Gear

Status
    Or drive the 1.8t sensibly ie i used to get 480 to a tank. Granted its a FWD but still...and that wasnt on motorways.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Or drive the 1.8t sensibly ie i used to get 480 to a tank. Granted its a FWD but still...and that wasnt on motorways.
    I dont wanna say that i don't believe-it because i dont ! I drive me quattro v6 tdi a4 and i am happy to get 300 miles to a tank high speed motorway drive (110+ Mph), driven like miss daisy then i will see 450 miles out of full tank.
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Markey View Post
    Seems like a lot of work for a possible low gain. I'm sure someone on here put a 6speed in their 1.8t fwd and said they could reach over 400miles per tank. This is why I was looking into it.
    I have achieved over 400miles in my FWD on the 5 speed box. Drove my ex and her sister and husband to a holiday. Managed to do the run there (people and luggage) and then drove us all about for 2 days before filling up. Seem to remember it being 440 or so miles on the tank.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

Space Cowboy

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    If you want 400+ miles per tank then buy a diesel...
    Too true, my TDi does 50mpg plus even hammering it and in 5th at 60mph its bang on 2k rpm, 80 is a shade over 2.5k

I get nearly 700 miles a tank even wi a lead foot! My B6 1.8T barely scraped 28mpg.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    420 was the best i ever managed on the FWD. That was down to 0miles on the dis and all motorway driving at a steady 70-75.

I guess if you kept the speed down to 50-55ish, and sat on the motorway behind a lorry, you might well manage 480 out of a FWD.

480miles out of 60Litres is 36mpg, which is pretty feasible on a long slow motorway drive.
    Last edited by aragorn; 18th November 2010 at 20:56.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by evilscotsman View Post
    Too true, my TDi does 50mpg plus even hammering it and in 5th at 60mph its bang on 2k rpm, 80 is a shade over 2.5k

I get nearly 700 miles a tank even wi a lead foot! My B6 1.8T barely scraped 28mpg.
    TDI = Diesel. lol

Even at 500whp my A4 1.8t was getting 30mpg on the freeway on trips that were 6-7 hrs long(up/down the California cost between socal and norcal).

6th Gear

Status
    Was dual carriage way for 1/4 of the trip, single carriageway 60mph limit usually if the traffic was steady it would be between 50-60mph and then 30 through the odd village. 64 miles a day Bedford to St Ives, Cambridgeshire. Changing at 2k in each gear using little pressure on the pedal to accelerate and never going above the limit. Only once did i get 483. Good handful of times i would get 470odd but on average i would get 460 something and that would be brimming it and down to the bottom of the red.

Space Cowboy

Status
    the B6 was worse cos its a fat ***** and i like boost......lol
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

Space Cowboy

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi2ptzero View Post
    TDI = Diesel. lol

Even at 500whp my A4 1.8t was getting 30mpg on the freeway on trips that were 6-7 hrs long(up/down the California cost between socal and norcal).
    Lol - we dont do 6 to 7 hour drives in general, you'd fall off the end of the uk ha ha but most commutes here are 30 to 60 miles each way I'd reckon since most folk work within an hour or 2 of their homes max.

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Status
    I would say the TQS could do with an extra gear. Its fine sitting at 60 or 70 but at 80+ on the motorway its starting to rev a bit high for my liking.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I would do it again in an instant on my TQS if funds allowed.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Yep it is a bit revvy on the motorway, I've thaught that a few times. Expensive swap though.

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Status
    Yeah a bit of a pain to do as well. It is a pain following your mate going down south in his 330d cruising effortlesly at 85 and my car sounds like its in pain. I got 31 mpg following him then 36 mpg going home at normal speeds.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ian52 View Post
    I would say the TQS could do with an extra gear. Its fine sitting at 60 or 70 but at 80+ on the motorway its starting to rev a bit high for my liking.
    and at 125 I can hardly hear the stereo!!