6 Speed

Markey

Reaction score
Anyone know if the 6speed box from the later 1.8tqs will fit the earlier 5 speed tqs?

What are peoples thoughts is it even worth it to gain a few more mpg on the motorway?

yes but you need the rear diff and I belive the box hanger on the passenger side is different but easy to swap.
I looked at it but there where a lot of extra bits you need to fit it and I couldnt be *****.

MPG is not really high on my priorities but it is doable.

better off getting an S4 B5 box and diff arent you?

AFAIK the box will fit (so long as you use the 01E, some later cars use a different box)

The problem will be matching the rear diff ratios. You'll need to find out the ratio of the front diff in the box, and then see if theres a B5 rear diff that matches it.

You can also use an S4 box, but again you'll need a matching rear diff (which iirc you can get from a 2.6 Quattro, as well as the S4)

As for fuel savings, IMO its going to be minimal. The majority of the fuel consumption on the motorway is aerodynamic drag, friction from the tyres etc. Slowing the engine from 3500 to 2900rpm is not going to change much, and if you drop it too much you end up below the boost threshold and economy disappears.

Most petrol 6 speed Audi boxes are designed to have a better spread of gears, with the top cog not being THAT much different. 80mph in an S4 is about 3000rpm, whereas 80mph in a TQS is about 3500.

As a mod to gain an extra gear and perhaps reduce engine noise slightly on the motorway, sure, but i wouldnt go fitting it for fuel savings, as you will be dissapointed.

Oh thats a good point, S4 box uses a different gearbox mounting on the nearside. Not sure which mount the B6 uses, you may/may not be able to use the B6 mount with your existing subframe, or alternatively swap the frame out for a V6 one.

Cheers chaps, it was just a thought thats all as i do a lot of Mway miles and thought it might help as the 6th gear has been know for economy. If i could get an S4 box and diff it should all work then :)

Why not get a 2.8 5 speed transmission or a 01A from a TDI? The B5 A4 2.8 transmission has slightly taller gears(1st-5th).

When going to a non 01A transmission you will need the rear end and drive shaft. You will also need the front axles unless you change the front flanges.

Also on the 01E S4 transmissions, they have taller gears and are designed for a V6TT with plent of low end tq. It is a stronger box. You can also use the transmission out of a B6 S4 4.2, but will need the rest of the drivetrain to use that.

Seems like a lot of work for a possible low gain. I'm sure someone on here put a 6speed in their 1.8t fwd and said they could reach over 400miles per tank. This is why I was looking into it.

Well lowering the rpms too much on a 1.8t can cause worse gas mileage because it forces you to give more throttle to hold that speed.

The 2.8 01A 5 speed will drop the rpms about 300-400 while in 5th gear at about 80mph. It can give maybe a 2-3 mpg gain over the 1.8t 5 speed. Problem is it will also make your car slower pulling thru the gears.

5th on mine is often worse on the DIS than 4th at certain speeds.

ha ha.
I am lucky to get 250 to a tank the way I drive normally

Or drive the 1.8t sensibly :p ie i used to get 480 to a tank. Granted its a FWD but still...and that wasnt on motorways.

Or drive the 1.8t sensibly :p ie i used to get 480 to a tank. Granted its a FWD but still...and that wasnt on motorways.

I dont wanna say that i don't believe-it because i dont ! I drive me quattro v6 tdi a4 and i am happy to get 300 miles to a tank high speed motorway drive (110+ Mph), driven like miss daisy then i will see 450 miles out of full tank.

Seems like a lot of work for a possible low gain. I'm sure someone on here put a 6speed in their 1.8t fwd and said they could reach over 400miles per tank. This is why I was looking into it.

I have achieved over 400miles in my FWD on the 5 speed box. Drove my ex and her sister and husband to a holiday. Managed to do the run there (people and luggage) and then drove us all about for 2 days before filling up. Seem to remember it being 440 or so miles on the tank.

If you want 400+ miles per tank then buy a diesel...

Too true, my TDi does 50mpg plus even hammering it and in 5th at 60mph its bang on 2k rpm, 80 is a shade over 2.5k

I get nearly 700 miles a tank even wi a lead foot! My B6 1.8T barely scraped 28mpg.

420 was the best i ever managed on the FWD. That was down to 0miles on the dis and all motorway driving at a steady 70-75.

I guess if you kept the speed down to 50-55ish, and sat on the motorway behind a lorry, you might well manage 480 out of a FWD.

480miles out of 60Litres is 36mpg, which is pretty feasible on a long slow motorway drive.

Last edited:
Too true, my TDi does 50mpg plus even hammering it and in 5th at 60mph its bang on 2k rpm, 80 is a shade over 2.5k

I get nearly 700 miles a tank even wi a lead foot! My B6 1.8T barely scraped 28mpg.

TDI = Diesel. lol

Even at 500whp my A4 1.8t was getting 30mpg on the freeway on trips that were 6-7 hrs long(up/down the California cost between socal and norcal).

Was dual carriage way for 1/4 of the trip, single carriageway 60mph limit usually if the traffic was steady it would be between 50-60mph and then 30 through the odd village. 64 miles a day Bedford to St Ives, Cambridgeshire. Changing at 2k in each gear using little pressure on the pedal to accelerate and never going above the limit. Only once did i get 483. Good handful of times i would get 470odd but on average i would get 460 something and that would be brimming it and down to the bottom of the red.

the B6 was worse cos its a fat bitch and i like boost......lol

TDI = Diesel. lol

Even at 500whp my A4 1.8t was getting 30mpg on the freeway on trips that were 6-7 hrs long(up/down the California cost between socal and norcal).

Lol - we dont do 6 to 7 hour drives in general, you'd fall off the end of the uk ha ha but most commutes here are 30 to 60 miles each way I'd reckon since most folk work within an hour or 2 of their homes max.

I would say the TQS could do with an extra gear. Its fine sitting at 60 or 70 but at 80+ on the motorway its starting to rev a bit high for my liking.

Yeah a bit of a pain to do as well. It is a pain following your mate going down south in his 330d cruising effortlesly at 85 and my car sounds like its in pain. I got 31 mpg following him then 36 mpg going home at normal speeds.

I would say the TQS could do with an extra gear. Its fine sitting at 60 or 70 but at 80+ on the motorway its starting to rev a bit high for my liking.

and at 125 I can hardly hear the stereo!!