B5 S4 Thermostat change

AndyC

Reaction score
Website
www.k-tecracing.com
Hey Guys

got the usual slow warm up and in the cold not getting upto temp etc

I am assuming the stat, as its got a new duel sensor already.

is it possible to change without taking the belts off?

any other tips etc?

cheers

Andy

Apparently you can squeeze it out past the timing belt with a bit of wrestling, but i've never done one personally.

was hoping that was the answer..... had to be somewhere awkward didnt it......... BALLS

will add it to my list of things to do on the car....... its getting longer

My S4 is just in for a Timing belt change, new thermostat, waterpump etc. i nipped down last night to see the progress. i'd be incredibly surprised if you could get to the thermostat without removing the belt, it really is buried in the back of beyond

what is it with audi and thermostats, i did one on my old s3 last year and that was a pain in the rear to get to as well.

Dave, I will pretend you didnt say that....... had enough of changing the whole rear bush set.... and suspension and brake lines this week................ grrrrrr

Can i retract my previous comment, i spoke to Charlie at FA Ropers and he said it was possible but it was a pig. you have to loosen the front end so you can move the radiator etc forward and then when you put the new stat in there's hardly any clearance so it's a struggle to get the water gallery back in place

Yep, someone on here has done it and posted up that it could be done without removing the belt but its a squeeze.

I'd pull the whole lock carrier though to maximise access though.

WELL!!!!

Managed it........... changed the stat without removing the cambelt....

the stat was stuck open, so never warmed up, was terrible especially in this weather... was using fuel etc etc etc

dropped the carrier into the service position, left bank belt covers off. moved the belt carfully half off the pullies.

you have to pry out the housing and its not easy..... plenty of room for error and to damage the belt if your not VERY careful.

HAVING said that it took 3 hrs and now the temp is upto full in 2 miles........... so worth it................

Andy

Good to know it can be done andy, having the same problem with mine now so gona be changing in due course.

the main advice is to take care with the belt......... also a good opportunity to flush and replace the coolant.