New A4 owner with a few small car problems.Any help appreciated

mike-a

Reaction score
I've just bought a 1996 A4 Avant 1.8T sport.
There's a few annoying little problems I'd like to sort out though:
Rear wiper doesnt work(though washer does).Where is the relay for it or is there any comon faults to look out for?
Oil and water temp gauges dont work.Is this a related fault i.e one fault affecting both gauges or could it be that both sensors are faulty? Where are the temp sensors located?
Elec mirrors not working.Which fuse number? Faulty switch perhaps? Anything else?
I'd like to swap the current headlights to some of the ones in the sticky thread:
100_1048s.jpg
Possible?

Thank you for any help you're able to offer.

Spent the day reading Audi forums so up to speed on the headlight front! eBay here I come.
Will start to check out the other stuff in lunch break if I get chance tomorrow.

Hi mate, i'm suprised no ones offered any help (hint hint anyone!!)

The guages are likely to be faulty sensors - I can't be sure where they are on yours but the coolant temp one (which is currently faulty on mine) is at the back of the engine near the coolant bottle (on my engine that is) but i'm sure if you call your local dealership they will be able to print you off a sheet showing where they both are, along with part numbers and prices etc.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Chris

Thanks Chris.
Have had vag com on and temp sensor is giving improbable readings so will pick one up tomorrow.
Still baffled by the oil temp though.Can't find exact location as yet,Haynes doesn't even mention it's existence and forum reports say either in sump with oil level sensor or on engine block near cooler or filter housing.
However,I've another theory re non moving gauges.If I drive back from work (20 miles) and switch the car off and leave it for ten mins then turn it back on the temp gauge will go up to about 75-80 but quickly drop back again.I think the thermostat is stuck open and the engine simply isn't getting hot enough to register on the gauges.So this weekend it'll be engine flush and new synthetic 5w-30 and filter,new temp sensor,thermostat and coolant flush and refill.
Anyone have a rough price for a cambelt and water pump change on the 1.8t motor at an independent garage?

fuse 9 & 26 state they are for the heated mirrors mate, one likely the power-fold motors (26) tho its not clear but 9 is the heating elements.

The oil gauge is not fused and has no connection to the temp gauge except they both report to the instrument processor in the dash binnacle.

I should further that by saying a faulty stat will cause coolant sensor "implausible signal" fault codes, theres probably nowt wrong with it.

The engine also has a water to oil cooler, so if the stat is wedged open the oil will stay cool too.

Thanks guys.Hoping the new stat will cure all!
Mirrors turned out to be knackered switch.£4 for one off eBay,sorted!
Will do stat and new coolant first as only temp sensor I can pick up locally at short notice is from VW dealers,£28+vat. Ouch!