what exactly does a chip do?

WanganDreams

Reaction score
I am completely new to the platform so I have no idea exactly what the chip does to a car. So far I've read a coup le of manufacturer's web sites and all I could get out of them is that it, basically, raises boost level to 1 bar - about 14.7 PSI.

Well my two main questions are:
1. Why can't one just purchase a MBC( Manual Boost Controller ) and turn up the boost manually?
2. How safe is it to raise boost level this high on stock parts?

Sorry if I don't make any sense...I'm just a noob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks,
-Ilia

As well as the obvious, ie increasing the boost pressure, a chip or remap also alters the timing, fuelling and igntion by re-writing your ECU's code.

This makes sure that the whole engine is programmed to run high boost, rather than having an engine programmed to run standard boost that is actually producing more boost than it thinks, ie with a manual boost controller.

Increasing boost by means of a chip/remap is far safer than doing it manually for these very reasons. In theory increasing the power with a remap could lessen the life of your engine, but not by any significant margin. The fact that remapping is such big business and is the number 1 mod on a turbo car pays merit to this.

If you want more power, do it properly and get it remapped. You will get much better increases from a remap than with any boost controller. You get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.

Drew.

Drew,

Thank you for your response. It did help to clarify points taht I was unsure of.

Again Thanks,

Ilia