Engine Finished or not?

Bull

Reaction score
I have an a41.8T 97, love the car, but through deprivation of oil doing about 70-80 mph, oil light came on, I ignored it as it's not the 1st time, but 50 miles later, seized, what's the likely out come, no bits or oil seepage, cracks blue smoke, nothing just loud tapping from engine then I knocked it ultra gear it stalled and coasted to side of road, new engine or rebuild?

you'd have to open it to see if theres any damage mate, mine did the same thing on the b6 and the engine is gubbed completely, 1 piston is cracked across the top and 1 rod is snapped near its base so didnt come thru the side, and the crank turns over by hand with no noises but that piston doesnt move down any more, all the valves are bent too.

could be rebuilt or swapped out, i got quoted £1500 for a rebuild or the same for a replacement recon motor.

Oh and the turbo is shagged too from lack of oil when it clogged up at the oil pump strainer, from sludging issues. Got the warning lights, level first then pressure, couldnt stop anyway in heavy traffic and no hard shoulder, sounded ok but died a few miles up the road with a rattle of death then stalled. I had run over something in the road and thought it had knocked a wire off or something cos it still sounded perfect until a few seconds before it went, just suddenly rattled furiously and died.

Last edited by a moderator:
all for the sake of checking your oil once a week. bet your kicking yourself mate.. im not long after building a 1.8T b6 for a mate. he wanted a second hand engine but was worried what he would get so he asked me to strip and build it. 750 quid for parts and a few quid for me doing it, he wasnt pleased but its a good engine now. in my opinion your engine will be fcuked..

mine had a full service at the supplying dealer and had got mineral oil instead of synth, and sludge formed.

audi refused to take any responsibility in the uk, even tho they give an 8 year warranty on engines in the US.

audi refused to take any responsibility **** thats odd. he says with loads of sarcasm. at least **** turpin wore a mask those fckers smile and do it bare faced..

There were plenty oil in it, I think the pump wasn't to clever at speed last few years it's only been getting shirt runs 5-6 mile a day, unti very recently, but £750 in parts I could live with, least you know wot u got afterwards, did that include the turbo?

that was a turbo rebuild at mates rates and me doing it for him. i reckon it would cost a fortune to get it done at a garage..i done his in my spare time after work..

depends on how handy you are with a spanner.
few oversized bearings and a crank regrind could be the worst of it, or it could be ******.
could be as little as a few main and big end bearings, could be proper fuxored....wont know until you pull it