Smoke when pulling off

alex-qts

Reaction score
My car is now in the garage as I am at uni and there is no parking in southampton! I have been having a problem with the car for a while now, let me start with what ive done so far.

New thermostat
New Radiator
Coolant Flush and New Coolant

New K04-015 Turbo
New Oil Feed Pipe

New 710n Diverter Valve - From TT?
Performance Panel Air Filter

Oil change - Semi-synthetic

The car smokes when pulling off, it chucks out blue smoke only when driving away. Even under WOT at any speed over 10mph it does not!! - It seems to throw out more smoke in reverse (this may be because I can see more smoke) Exhaust smells really strongly of fuel/something very similar to fuel anyway.

Car has done around 120k now hence the new turbo, my questions are:

Would the K04-15 without a remap be causing some kind of problem with the fuel - Air mix?
Would excessive crankcase blow-by suggest the PCV is faulty or more likely the rings?

If i need to rebuild the engine I can set my goals to do this but I dont want to do any work that doesn't need to be done!

I guess what I am really saying is has anyone got any ideas of what this might be, I am going to do a compression test ASAP to try and find out more.

Thanks for any help!

Alex

blue smoke is oil
The usual culprits would be the turbo, the valve stem oil seals or the rings.

The usual symptoms of valve stem oil seals are that it will smoke upon startup, and after any period of idling. IE sitting at some lights for 30seconds then pulling away. It happens at these times because at idle th vacuum inside the cylinders/inlet is very high, which pulls oil thru the dodgy stem seals, then when you open up the throttle the additional airflow drags the oil down into the cylinders and it gets burned.

also on overun for stem seals.
are you saying it has high crank case pressure? how do you know?

Thanks for the reply guys, It seems to be worse when the car has been sitting at the lights for longer! but def nothing when driving (had someone behind me to check)

I thought it had high crankcase pressure because when you remove the oil cap with the engine on it sounds like a second exhaust! its pushing allot of air through the filler cap.

The turbo was the best non-KKK that I could find, from a company called RP-Turbo - RPTURBOS.COM - Replacement & Performance Turbochargers

I did allot of research into RP turbo and I found that quite a few of the S4 and RS4 boys had been using the K04 kits without any issues for a while. it wasnt the price of a cheap ebay knock-off either!

But who knows, maybe I have a blown seal? but I am sure it was smoking the same before the new turbo.

Is there a way to check the turbo?

thanks

RP are a reasonable company IIRC.

Back to this crankcase pressure, it's more likely you have a blocked PCV system than actual ring failure in my experience so far.
I suppose you could run the car down the road with the cap loose to see if venting temporarily to atmosphere clears the smoke on take off?

To test turbo seals, it's a little harder, you would need to drop the cat/exhaust off the back of the turbo and look for oily/black deposits as indication of oil seal seepage.

If it was smoking before i would rule that out for now, and concentrate on looking at the one way valve under the inlet mani, or a faulty puck valve on the TIP for now, and go from there

I have seen the PCV Valve whilst I was changing the oil feed pipe, it looked pretty worn so I might change the valve just to see what happens, I should be able to give it a try at the weekend, I presume if the valve is blocked it will be pretty easy to spot

thanks