HELP!!!!STRANGE KNOCKING SOUND

norfolkaudi

Reaction score
i have an 2.8 quattro and have had a slight encounter with a tree on the front, in doing so broke the resivoir for the power stearing and have to replace this but in doing so lost the oil in the stystem, i repleced the oil and since then had this knocking sound when turning both ways, i did get lots of air in the resivoir and before the stearing wheel was straight when the wheels were straight, but now the stearing wheel seems to be pointing left as if i was in a slight turn when the wheels are straight. could there still be air in the stearing and how do i get it out??????or do i need the play taken out???????has passed an m.o.t since then.

any help on this matter would be great as i dont feel safe with the kids in the car.

Bleeding the PAS system is easy, raise both front road wheels and support, then open the PAS resovoir cap, start the engine and turn slowly lock to lock three of four times, check the level and the do it again.

May be worth getting your tracking checked if the steering wheel is cocking off to one side or another.

thanks for your input would that explain the knocking when turning?? air in the stearing rack

could be the pressure relief valve on the ps pump clicking, or youve damaged a cv joint on the driveshaft.

you did put the proper power steering fluid in didnt ya? If you put ordinary mineral oil in then the valve will be clicking its head off as the pressure will be sky high.

If your steering wheel no longer points streight ahead, you've bent something important.

The hydraulics have no effect on the actual position of the wheel, they're just there to provide assistance.

it sounds like it is more of a machanical knock like when a ball joint has gone, i did think it was the subframe loose after the handshake with the tree but i cant see that happending unless it can, and thanks to you all keep comming up with stuff gives me more options to look at this week.

theres 6 balljoints on each side of the suspension (two at the top of the upright, two at the bottom and then inner and outer balljoints on the tie rods) and 6 rubber bushes too, so i'd want to be checking all of them.

had the car up on jacks this morn and there seems to be play in the stearing rack, so will take it to be done and see if that helps.

thanks all