HID Lights

firstly welcome to the forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

which hid kit do you mean as they are so many about?

[ QUOTE ]
George_G said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Hi George,

I should soon be a 'Xenon Depot' UK supplier... If you want anything, give me a shout!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rich,

Yes, I am very interested, you got a site? prices?

George

[/ QUOTE ]

www.jbrperformance.co.uk

Not sure yet on prices .etc as were just sorting out the paperwork /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks Rich,

Just tell me when ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

George

Hi,
I've blown a dipped beam on my '98 S4 and have been quoted an astronomical £145 + half hour labour + vat by Audi dealer.

Can I get a bulb cheaper elsewhere and are there problems in fitting them?

rabhrab

Thanks George,

How do I find out what type and brand are fitted to my car? There are no details in the Drivers Handbook, only a warning that Xenon bulbs should only be replaced by an Audi dealer, as there is a risk of fatal injury----- great!

rabhrab

DON'T PAY THAT MUCH!!!!!!!!
I'm buying off german ebay 2 osram HID bulbs and 2 hella ballasts for 195 EUROS!!!

I think they are about 30 EUROS buy it now on german ebay.
Make sure you get the right ones. If you have projector headlights like my logo, then you need D2S, if you have reflector headlights then you need D2R.

Go on www.ebay.co.uk, search worldwide for xenon d2s.
You will be amazed at how cheaper they are, only £20. Dead easy to change yourself, just maje sure your igintion is OFF!

Buy off a seller who uses Paypal. I've just had to do a worldpay to pay for mine which costs £9 and takes 7 days.
Use www.freetranslation.co.uk to change ther german into english ish!!!

Good luck

There is a risk of killing yourself if you stick your fingers in to the socket when changing your light bulb at home with the power on, that's all that sticker is saying (plus scaring you into paying those prices)! As long as your ignition is off and keys out of the ignition and lights off, then you'll be fine.

Just like changing a normal bulb. There is a big connector you need to take off, then unclip the bulb and don't touch the glass part of the bulbs. If you do use a rubbing alcohol to remove the grease or you'll blow your bulbs!!!

Make sure you get philips or osram 4100K approx. As long as you get those manufactures then they'll be original equipment. Philips also do a colour match bulb which shines more blue. This is because as the bulbs wear on, the light output becomes more blue. But at the price you'll pay if you get them off german ebay, you could buy 2!

I wouldn't buy HID lamps if I did not know where they come from, and assertain that the brand is true i.e. Philips, Osram etc...

The reason that Audi is saying about fatality, is just because if you are touching the wires the time the igniter sets off, then some 22.000volts will strike you. Just make sure that while you change them, they won't get switched on my mistake. The 22.000volts are required for the HID lamp to ignite, then 12.8volts suffice for it to operatre.

Besides that, all you have to do, is unclip the cover of the headlights, then unclip the bulb, take it out, DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS, and see the type. You must have either H4 or H7.

Then order the apropriate type for you. And if you want my opinion, any HID buld below 100Euros is fishy.

Regards

[ QUOTE ]
George_G said:
I wouldn't buy HID lamps if I did not know where they come from, and assertain that the brand is true i.e. Philips, Osram etc...

The reason that Audi is saying about fatality, is just because if you are touching the wires the time the igniter sets off, then some 22.000volts will strike you. Just make sure that while you change them, they won't get switched on my mistake. The 22.000volts are required for the HID lamp to ignite, then 12.8volts suffice for it to operatre.

Besides that, all you have to do, is unclip the cover of the headlights, then unclip the bulb, take it out, DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS, and see the type. You must have either H4 or H7.

Then order the apropriate type for you. And if you want my opinion, any HID buld below 100Euros is fishy.

Regards

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it can't get 22kv unless you switch them on! If the bulb is 35w, then the current is very low, about 2mA. BUT that could mess you up! I'm an engineering student so I feel confident working with that. Also you would have to be sticking your finger into the actual connector to get a shock as the rest is insulated.

You can't get H7 and H4 bulbs for OEM HID, they're either D2S or D2R. It's only the cheap HID retro fitting kits made by Tamawachi or summit which make bulbs to retrofit into halogen enclosures.

I'd be perfectly happy buying from german ebay. They're only so expensive over here because people buy them so they will carry on charging that price and there aren't as many with HIDs. At the end of the day, why pay £130 for 1 bulb, if you can get a set for £25?

[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:
I got more or less the same kit and works a thousand times better than halogen.

If you're installing on halogen ecodes, be careful when bending the bulb support wires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi nmb, thanks for your reply,

Can you pls tell me what type/brand/Kelvin you use?
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what are ecodes?

Thanks,

George

[ QUOTE ]
ajmackie said:
Use www.freetranslation.co.uk to change ther german into english ish!!!

Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

You have any idea why I cannot translate a site?...actually its the ebay page. It produces errors. The text translation works OK.

George

[ QUOTE ]
ajmackie said:
........ Just need to use them for 500 hours to develop a nice blue tinge!!!

They really do throw the light out down the road!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by tinge? Do they need running in? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

George

no worries!!!

believe me i ain't done a laboratory on them, i've just read it on the specification. I think they do last 3 times as long as normal halogen bulbs.

Yeah i've read somewhere about them changing. I mean not a blatant change. Mine are pure white at the moment, but they will change to a blue ish tinge, as can be seen on cars driving about now which have HIDs and are a couple of years old. Something to do with the xenon componenet i think!!

Ecodes means european headlight design.
It is all to do with the cut off mask, ie how big an area the headlight will illuminate.
Ecodes are mentioned because american headlights block a lot of the light off so less light is projected onto the road. Also they have a horrible orange reflector in the corner of theirs. So american's buy ecodes (ie european headlights) to get more light and no orange plastic in the indicator lense.
So us Europeans have these superior headlights as standard

RichA3Turbo

Are you a Xenon Depot dealer yet? I live not far from you and wish to look at what is on offer for my new style (Chassis 8P) A3 2.0 litre Tdi!

I have left a message on your answerphone!

Regards

Peter

[ QUOTE ]
George_G said:
[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:

If you're installing on halogen ecodes, be careful when bending the bulb support wires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

George

[/ QUOTE ]

hella ballasts and philips 85122 4300k bulbs.

[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

George

Thanks for the help ajmackie and george- I bought the Philips bulbs on e-bay that you provided the link for, ajmackie, two for 37euros, arrived safe and sound today!
But how do I get at them??? They appear inaccessable? Anyhelp for me out there?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:
[ QUOTE ]
George_G said:
[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

George

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another question nmb...

Did you fit them inside the original halogen headlights? or you changed them too?

George

I ordered a pair too, when they arrive I will tell you about the results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

George

I finally got the right ones. Hella ballasts and Philips 85122 bulbs. It took me 6 hours to make the modifications needed.

1. 2 holes under the headlight housing so the wires can get inside. There are 2 wires that have to go inside. One for the bulb and one to connect to the original plug. Quite a difficult task, because the hole must be cut in exact dimensions, so the tap, can be sealed tight so no water enters the headlight housing. I used rubber washers.

2. A4 2000 model leaves absolutely no space for the ballast around the headlight, the wire is very short (about 12inches), so I had to find a way to install the ballast under the headlight, which is the only place that would fit, it was quite difficult, but I finally managed to srew it tightly in place. It is now a bit tricky to remove the headlight, the ballast hits the bumper while inserting it, and you can scratch the paint, but with careful moves I can fit it in place.

3. The adaptor for the bulb that was privided by the seller did not fit, so I had to trim it so the bulb can sit tightly in place.

The result was good. I am amazed by the brightness these lights give. The lights point to where I want them, no glare at all, and driving around at night, nobody flashed me, they did not blind any one. I am very happy, money well spent.

Thanks guys for all the help till now

Regards

George Greece

Pleased you like them!!
I used a very heavy duty waterproof velcro to secure mine under the headlights. They were still stuck on when I last looked!!

I have also installed some xenons and i'm well impressed, sorted out the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif lights on the a4 once and for all! :)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Indeed the lights on the A4 are ^%*^&%*&^%

Happy now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif