12V supply into arm rest

A

AndyCollins

I want to run a 12V supply into my arm rest to fit a cigar lighter inside. The reason for this is I want to be able to charge my phone in there. I currently do it with the charger in the normal lighter socket by the gear lever, with the cable on show going into the armrest lid. I would like one inside so that no cables are in view. I have a Haynes manual on the way so will hopefully have a wiring diagram soon, just need some advice on the best way to get this supply in there.

Any advice would be gratefully received /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

This is exactly what I was planning, was going to cut off end of the Nokia charger and tap into the cig lighter connections at back of it, then run the charger cable under the centre console coming up into the armrest cutting small descreet holes as needed using extra wire if needed as want the coiled nokia wire to allow the flexibility when raising and lowering the armrest.

So could I just cut the plug off as yaseen suggested and solder the ends onto the contacts of the existing lighter?

never knew that!, in that case suppose solder wires to the actual connecting parts of the cig lighter or pick up a scrap one either Audi so lights up red or from another car

VAG parts sell a 12v supply switch to the boot for £20 so will look at that too to see if it converts the voltage down as would be perfect.

If you have a big chunky plug - probably with a light in it - it is definately doing something to the Voltage. Don't remove that unless you want the car equivalent of running an S4 on Diesel - limited use and a big bill.

If you feel confident enough you could strip the big plug and only use the bits you need but make sure you know what you are doing with it (or borrow a mates phone for testing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif )

Greg