Long time no see, and CV joint.

audinary

Complete And Utter Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been away for a while, nice to see all the familiar names still B5ing and welcome smattering of new ones, too.

Last time I was here I was trying to get to the bottom of a strange noise, which finally turned out to be the n/s outer CV joint, which surprised all my techie friends at work 'cos they'd never heard one making quite that sort of sound.

Anyway, I start the repair tonight. The Haynes Manual (yeah, I know, should have binned it ages ago) only gives steps after removing the driveshaft altogether. It being the outer one I'm fixing, can anyone suggest why I shouldn't do it with the driveshaft still in place? I know getting the CV off will be easier on a bench, but it would save a lot of skinned knuckles.

Any of you guys who have done this operation before have any advice?

Cheers, Chris.

you will get more skinned knuckles trying to do it on the car trust me. for all the bother it is to take it out and put it in a vice. some cv joints come off really easy and some are a real nightmare so pray that yours is easy enough.

Its easy, undo CV bolt, then undo the pincg bolt and remove. Slide the shaft back to clear the hub. Wind the bolt back into the CV and it will press the CV off once almost screwd all the way in.

Half hour a side tops if the pinch bot is free

mate i have changed dozens off cv joints some on the car and some off the car and im trying to work out what your talking about cause it dosent make sense..

Bass 666, so have I, and the bolt drives the CV from the end of the shaft. Whether it make sense or not, it's the easiest way.

so your trying to say when you put the bolt back into the shaft it goes right through the cv joint and hits the shaft and draws it off ??

before you undo the cv bolt its right in anyway so how can it draw the cv joint off when the shaft is clear off the hub ? cv joints arent hollow right through.

Vag ones are.

Before you undo the bolt, the hub stops it going right in and touching the shaft. With the CV out of the hub, it goes in further.

i stand corrected, i didnt know that vag joints were hollow cause if i did i wouldnt have been tapping them of with a hammer for all these years. it really is true u really do learn something new every day. thats a slap you owe me BYZAN A4..

Awesome! Cheers guys.

Car is up on axle stands now, sounds like i'll be able to drive to work on monday in my own car rather than borrowing a rusty Ford Ka for the day.

More fun in the freezing workshop than watching X Factor...

i would rather let BYZAN A4 give me that slap than watch that fooking ****,,