dump valve (B.O.V)

welchy29

Reaction score
hi there,ive just got a4 1.8t avant on a 2001 plate....its my first turbo...so am really looking forward to getting some bits for it... first off ad like to buy a dump valve but ive got a AUTO with the triptronic box not a manual...is this a problem or can ya still fit a dumpy to it......if so please can u tell me wat make to get...i want a loud one lol.....also i will be getting a filter + exhaust........can anybody give me some good sites to look at....this is my first audi (German) car so i dont know much about them....thanx ady

welcome to the world of VAG matey :thumbsup: (VAG = Volkswagen Audi Group)

As a general rule of thumb standard VAG turbo engines dont like blow off dump valves as they up set the way the engine controls the excess boost. A standard VAG engine recirculates the excess boost to keep the turbo spinning and reduce the chance of turbo lag.

If you run a modified VAG engine with a modified ECU you can easily use a blow off valve because you can change the way the engine uses the boost to suit your turbo.

If you are new to VAG engines but still want a blow off valve to make noises when your out and about you will need to get a good quality one like this Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication

Dont get some cheap crap of a well know auction web site as this will only cause problems later with your engine and ecu. Like they say buy cheap and pay twice.

There is loads of info and helpful people on here and other good forums to help you learn all you need to know about your new motor :yes:

hiay welch29....

i second that with what camouflage said... i got an audi a4 t fsi 2.0ltr..........i also fitted a dump valve to mine and went to forge for it .. i didnt even bother looking else where and got it fitted by vag guys i know.... the forge valves are also less in ur face as its a small whooshing snezzing nose not a loud one ... me thinks with an audi u dont wanna make it chavy lol with a stupid to loud of a dump valve ...

GO FORGE ...

x

oh and if ur gonna get a exhaust.....go for a custom made one i got mine in essex on my 2005 audi ... essex elites ... they deal with all mods on cars as well as other things ... i spent 2300 in one day in there ... could of spent more.... forge have a website i also got a vacume valve.. they both go well and feels good on my car .. which will do till i get the custom remap done with the panel filter fitted in january... then im done ....oh and by the way im a girl lol..pal sounds like a man lol...

x

Atmospheric dump valves dont work properly on any 1.8T motors, irrespective of the transmission.

Stick to a recirculating valve.

like aragorn says... my mate has a 1.9td or 1.8td and his is on an 03 plate automatic... he carnt put no dump valves on coz of it being auto but he can put an induction kit on it which made me a bit ****** as i have the 2.0ltr t fsi and there is no induction kit ever made for mine mmmmmmmm ...so ur have to change plans babes didnt know urs was an auto.....

I agree with Aragorn. Perofrmane of a recirc is better than an atmospheric because it recycles the air back into the intake (thus recirc). Besides you have yourself a lovely Audi now so why ou wana scoot around sounding as if its a 5 turbo.....But each to there own. I'm guilty of it in the past (I even got an uprated spring so wastegate chatter/air coming back out the filter would be more prominent!) with jap cars and a saab! If you are intent on it stick to one of the collins motorsport units as they are brilliant and the springs are interchangeable, they are rebuildable and have race proven.....Focus ST Dump Valve Kit "Collins Performance" - BLACK on eBay (end time 22-Oct-10 16:08:21 BST)
Good luck pal, and enjoy your AUDI!

like aragorn says... my mate has a 1.9td or 1.8td and his is on an 03 plate automatic... he carnt put no dump valves on coz of it being auto but he can put an induction kit on it which made me a bit ****** as i have the 2.0ltr t fsi and there is no induction kit ever made for mine mmmmmmmm ...so ur have to change plans babes didnt know urs was an auto.....

He can't put a DV on as it's a diesel, nothing to do with it being an automatic. Diesel engine operates in a different way. It is possible to fit a DV to a diesel but it requires a box of trick and doesn't actually offer any gain at all

He can't put a DV on as it's a diesel, nothing to do with it being an automatic. Diesel engine operates in a different way. It is possible to fit a DV to a diesel but it requires a box of trick and doesn't actually offer any gain at all

Apart from the performance of your old fella. Didnt you know.......Atmospheric dump valves MAKE YOUR **** BIGGER.

thats true, the tdi has a vnt turbo and needs no dv plus tdi's are always at atmosphere or boost with no throttle plate so no need to dump :)

Anyhoo, the auto petrol of the OP (welchy) will not dump till you lift off or level out in top gear, it wont dump as it changes gear since the throttle doesnt close between gears on the auto so there is no dump till you stop pressing the pedal.....unlike the manual boys who dump every shift ;)

plus on the 1.8T if you fitted a cone filter then the standard factory fitted bosch dv will be very audible as it dumps into the intake just behind the maf.....

Put an extra feed into the standard airbox and it tish`s quite loud i found lol.