no dash display. Ignition switch?

Jonion

Reaction score
OK after managing to ignore the odd occasion when the immobiliser decides to paly up...
Today the dash display has refused to work.
It will come on as you turn the ignition off however (and a tweak of the ignition key will keep it on). But once the car is started it's gone.

Is this a common fault or one that someone may know the cure for?

Cheers.

its prob been turned off, look under the wiper stalk there is a reset button, tap that see what happens

Not the switch. It makes no difference.

None of the gauges work either, nor does it do anything if you press the two buttons on the dash.
So basically it's totally dead apart from the warning lights (abs, h/brake etc..)
Moving the wheel up/down, in/out makes no difference either.

Obviously not a fuse as it does work as you switch off the ignition for a brief moment.
Have looked at quite a few old threads on here but they all pretty much just come to a dead-end with no solution.

the actual switch part is reasonably common to fail. Its not expensive if you do it now, but if you wait till it properly breaks it can make your starter stay on and burn that out too.

Cheers Mark.
Do you mean the ignition switch?

yeah think thats the problem mate. They are known to collapse.

Cheers, it has gone very sloppy so may explain it.

Is the part I need easily available? Or are they repairable?
Might pull it out tomorrow and take a proper look at it.
Probably cost me more than the ****** car I guess lol

Surely when you hear the awful grinding noise from the starter you'd shut the motor off...

Only way your going to burn the starter out, is if you continue driving along and ignore it.

Problem is the key switch doesn't just engage the starter motor immediately. It'll intermittantly engage it as the key switch flaps about between normal and crank. So on the motorway at 80mph and it only takes a few seconds to burn it out at 4000revs

The ignition Switch is a fault waiting to happen on the B5 A4 Apparently..

There is a plastic bit inside the Switch that breaks off easily after time..

I had to change mine it was starting ok but the lights went out on dip beam when started which is another sign..

Quite easy to change, part was about £20 odd from Audi and it took about 40 mins out and new one in..

Steering wheel and Airbag off and it's located left hand side there is a good thread explaining all in picture detail somewhere..

If you have a problem I will try and find it I have it somewhere..

Last edited:
As it happens I've just come back in after having a look and removing the switch part.
The actual barrel returns perfectly OK from the start position so that's not my problem..... yet !
Although the barrel is very sloppy in itself.

Also my removal procedure for the switch is nowehre near as complex as that AudiWorld article shows.
I didn't need to remove the airbag or steering wheel. Nor does mine look the same as that in the article.
I did remove the airbag before realising there was no need to.
Part number is slightyl different too, mine is 4B0 905 849

Switches are available from EuroCarParts (one 1 mile from me) and GSF for about £10-£14

If I remember right I don't think you can get at it without removing the plastic surrounding the switch which meant the wheel and airbag had to come off..

Deffinatly cannot do it without removing the Wheel..

I think I know what you have done the switch is on the left hand side under the wheel you have removed the ignition barrel that is not the switch..

Thought it sounded too good..

Not so complicated has you put it about 4/10 difficulty..

Last edited:
If I remember right I don't think you can get at it without removing the plastic surrounding the switch which meant the wheel and airbag had to come off..

Deffinatly cannot do it without removing the Wheel..
I must be a magician then because I never removed the wheel and the switch is in bits in front of me.

I think I know what you have done the switch is on the left hand side under the wheel you have removed the ignition barrel that is not the switch..

Thought it sounded too good..

Not so complicated has you put it about 4/10 difficulty..
Yeah TBH I do know the difference between a switch and the barrel.

This may have been given away by me quoting the part number I read off the switch in my previous post.

They changed the column and shroud etc around 1997, i suspect jonions car is the older column, and the guide is for the newer one.

So you need to revert back to Plan A then as described earlier with the Audifan Thread..back luck with being a Magician

They changed the column and shroud etc around 1997, i suspect jonions car is the older column, and the guide is for the newer one.

AH That is different what year is your car jonions..???

Ok then all you with 1997 onwards will have something to look forward to just add it to the List of things waiting to happen..:w00t:

Last edited:
I suspect you have the nail headed.
Mine is a late '97.

Right mine is 09/97 A4 1.8t and as the Switch on the L/Hand side..

Last edited:
Left/hand of the column as your in the car I mean..don't know where the earlier models were though but by the sound of it your's is the same as mine not the earlier one going on the year spec.

Does your column look like the one in the pic..

Last edited:
I couldn't be ***** to even unlock the car when I did mine, managed to remove and refit everything through a slight gap in the drivers window!
Are you a gynaecologist Jonion?

I like to a job properly so followed the guide, it really only takes 30-40mins.

As I said...
I didn't need to remove the airbag or steering wheel. Nor does mine look the same as that in the article.
I did remove the airbag before realising there was no need to.

Well if yours is like mine as you just said then you don't have to remove the airbag or steering wheel to get to yours either.

that was in reply to Monster btw.

I couldn't be ***** to even unlock the car when I did mine, managed to remove and refit everything through a slight gap in the drivers window!
Are you a gynaecologist Jonion?
Not qualified no. But I have dealt with some right c.... in my time ;-)

Well that makes it even more interestign then Aragorn.
lol
Mine has the later wheel with the 'lots of dots' but is nothing like the AudiWorld article for removal as I said.

And as it happens when I removed the airbag I couldn;'t actually see a way of taking the wheel off at that point. No column but on show.

If I get chance tomorrow when it's light I'll remove the 'bag again to show those doubters that seem to think I've removed my switch using nothing more than voodoo and black magic. lol

Right the only thing I can think of is that your's IS different and like aragorn say's a different setup there is no way you could do mine without using the earlier plan..

Believe me I would have done it your way if I could have..they must be different..and the year of Registry is not always dead to when it was manufactured it could have been made earlier in the year..

Last edited:
Well that makes it even more interestign then Aragorn.
lol
Mine has the later wheel with the 'lots of dots' but is nothing like the AudiWorld article for removal as I said.

And as it happens when I removed the airbag I couldn;'t actually see a way of taking the wheel off at that point. No column but on show.

If I get chance tomorrow when it's light I'll remove the 'bag again to show those doubters that seem to think I've removed my switch using nothing more than voodoo and black magic. lol

Doubters..Don't shoot the messeger m8 we are all here trying to help you not be against you..

So you can get your car sorted that's why were all here surley..

I've just looked at the AW article.

Thats the early setup for sure. The column has a nut on the early setup, and a Torx bolt on the later ones.

I've had the column shrouds of a later car a couple of times, but i cant remember if it was possible without removing the wheel.

So Aragron are we thinking mine is the later car?
I'm not Audi enthusiast as such as it's just my daily (well supposed to be) driver that rarely gets used.

To remove the shrouds was just two posidriven screws you get at from below at the front as usual.
Two small posi screws from the front , you have to turn the wheel to get at them.
Then remove top shroud. Release the wheel adjuster and lower the bottom shroud, no need to remove it.
Then get at the switch as in the article as it's in the exact same place with the same two little grub screws holding the switch in place.

The airbag is removed by undoing the two torx bolts in the rear of the wheel.
Then un-plugging a yellow connector at the top inside of the wheel.
No bolt is showing for removal of the steering wheel so didn't look further as I could get at the switch anyway.

Doubters..Don't shoot the messeger m8 we are all here trying to help you not be against you..

So you can get your car sorted that's why were all here surley..
Well I thought so.
But I have been told I couldn't possibly remove it the way I have, even after I'd already said I'd removed it.
lol
no harm.

Well you have for sure a different Column to the guy's on here that have done it the way shown in the earlier thread..

looking at the pics, the earlier lower column shroud has some screws that are behind the airbag contact ring, so obviously you need to remove the wheel to get to them.

Presumably the later column doesnt have these hidden screws, so all the screws to remove the shroud are accessible without removing the wheel?

Well assuming mine is the later one yes.
I'll take some crappy phone pics when I replace it all later on today (assumig nthey have a switch in stock).

I might have one lying around somewhere. Need to cross-reference the part number though as I think it's from a TT.

OK so I got and fitted the new ignition switch and...
yep, exactly the same.
So the ignition switch wasn't the problem.
Dash lights up and stay lit up when the car is starting, then as soon as ignition is returned to the normal 'run' position no more dash.
Although the voltage meter does work as normal.
And then it comes on when you turn off the ignition, briefly.
The mileometer is intermittent as to when it lights up as well.

And here are some crappy pics.

steering wheel.
a4wheel.jpg

Steering wheel with airbag removed but wiring still connected.
a4wheelairbag1.jpg

wheel with bag removed
a4wheelna.jpg

I assume from this one that the wheel is removed by undoing the splined centre piece.

Rear view of airbag
a4airbag.jpg

Ignition barrel shown with wheel still in place.
a4ignbarrel.jpg

Ignition switch
a4ignswitch.jpg

Another less than joyful day with the A4.
Already way past the point where I wish I'd never seen it. Supposed to be my reliable daily driver that's done hardly any miles due to all the problems with it... anyway....

The dash..
Looked at fuses and relays today. Can't find any fault unless a relay could cause it without me being able to replicate it.
The dash works perfectly ok when you switch the ignition on.. and also works ok when you switch the lights on.
But as soon as you start the engine it goes off completely . only to come back on again when you turn off the engine.
Occasionally it flickers into life once but that's it.

So any other ideas before I find my matches?
Oh wil be collecting my OBD2 reader up later in the week just in case that gives any pointers.