A/C question

Strick

Reaction score
My aircon seems to switch itself off when outside temp gets below a certain level and you can turn it back on until it reaches about 4deg. Is this normal? Whats the idea behind it? Just seems that at a time when you need to demist the car most youre not able to.

Funny enought , mine DOES do it as well , i just asummed at that cold a temp it just goes into "safe mode" as for demisting car i just use the windscreen symbol on the air con and it automatical seletcs max power to the screen!

hope this helps , and if u find its a fault let me know cause i have the same fault then !

No this is normal. It is to preserve the life of one of the A/C components (can't remember which one, dryer or compressor I think). The temp varies as to when it shuts down as the temp shown on the DIS is an average of a number of sensors dotted round the car, whereas he shutdown just uses one of the sensors.

I had this so actually read the manual, and as Andy says, its quite normal for it to shut down at 4 degrees ish
HTH

Cheers fellas.
Fallmonk; its more the rear side windows that bother me as like you say you can blast the front screen and whacke the demister on the rear one. Oh well, just drop the windows a crack then, lol.

[ QUOTE ]
Strick said:
Cheers fellas.
Fallmonk; its more the rear side windows that bother me as like you say you can blast the front screen and whacke the demister on the rear one

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOPHS dont i feel stupid ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif
i know it seams to take ages for the rear to demist ! my old coupe seamed to do it in half the time ,(or maybe the car is now faster and gets me to work in half the time!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
fallmonk said:
(or maybe the car is now faster and gets me to work in half the time!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, thats one option i guess.

mmmm.... mine was playin silly beggers yesterday. i takes a while to demist the screen, and the fan dosent sound like its blasting at top whack....
as i thought i had a gremlin, i checked it over.
the outside temp was below zero and the cold air con didnt seem like normal ? does its shut the aircon unit off when below certain temps ?it just seemed like fresh air blowers, cold from outside air, but not aircon cold ?

i dont have a book, for the car so cant read up.
please tell me this is normal. please. please .please....

aircon wont work below 3 degree C. it is a feature too protect the system as said above.
it is not a fault.

OK folks - I understand the 3 and 4 degree cutoff zone. But, what is the primary sensor for this temp??

there ar about 13 sensors all over the car and the A/C uses the one behind the bumper (I think), which is why the cut out varies from the temp on the DIS which is an average of multiple sensors.