Possible Subaru to Audi convert...

Phil_Jr

Reaction score
Well I just got a brand new 2005 Subaru WRX in May. It has about 4k miles and I must say i really love the car. However, it seriously lacks in low-end torque and the interior finish/refinement leaves something to be desired. I crave more power so I went to stage 1 ECU and added an up pipe. This only made the lag a little better and got me to about a 5.4sec 0-60 time. Not bad for a $26,000 car....

As I look into stage two and three for my car the 2.0L 4 will definetly hold me back, and the standard WRX 5 speed isnt the strongest trans. A logical choice would be to sell my WRX for about $23,000 and buy a used a STi for around 26K-27K. I was pretty close to doing that until my friend got an 05 S4. I drove it and pretty much fell in love with Audi. Its handling was godly and the v8 was a beast. Plus the interior was all I could ask for. Non of that soft lexus couch leather, or the overcomplicated I-drive nonsense.

Since the 50k pricetage of the 05 S4 is just slightly out of my price range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I was looking around for a used S4. I found some nice looking 01s with around 30k-40k miles. I love the older body styles (b5 I guess you call it?) just as much as the new ones, and even more than a WRX.

So....do I get the 01 S4 with 35k miles? Or the 04 STi with 16k miles for the same price? I know this is an Audi forum but be honest!!! What will I be getting myself into with an S4 that has more than 30k miles? Also, since the STi will be a good amount faster stock than an S4, what mods will get me to about 320-350 hp?

Thanks everyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the interior is not worth a compromise in speed?

well considering this a audi forum i think u will just get a one sided view!
BUT if u just want power its the scooby, if u want power and comfort its the S4 ,as for the 30k miles its just running in ! V6's(quickly eddited) go for ever, i know if going on a long journey i would want a S4 , think if u even ask other scooby drivers journeys in them for long hours aint recomended!

Apples to oranges my friend.

I was this close to buying an 02 WRX before I spotted my Audi A4. Once I sat in it and drove it, it was all over.

If you want to go fast while in comfort and safety = Audi. If you want bar bragging rights = STi.

I will still be adding a WRX to my stable, the sound of that exhaust is to die for.

Subaru..dealers much better + 100% reliability so you won't need to get to know them + I've just been charged £80 to change a stop light bulb on a compan A4.

The B5 was a 2.7l 30v V6 w/ Twin turbos. Good for 320ish HP with a stage 1 upgrade.

If you're after style and cruzing then the Audi is great. If you want a racer with top performance then stick with the scoob.

I chose my audi over a scoob as I can insure my audi... slower though. But having owned it a few months now - the respect I get from people in traffic, cops that pull me for a bit of enthusiastic driving most importantly the ladies - there is something special to owning the Audi over a noisy scoob. I just wish I had a dump valve and had the warble at times... you cant win can you!

You mentioned interiour as being one of your things against the scoob... perhaps you are after a bit of refinement. If that is the case, an S4 might be a lovely toy for you!

I have been lucky enough to own both a WRX and a A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro Sport.

The WRX was faster but not nearly as classy. When I changed to the Audi I really felt as if I had moved up a notch - everything had so much more quality and style.

I think it probably depends whether pure performance is your main consideration or not - in real terms if you spend 20% of the time driving above 95% you end up putting up with the Subaru for the remaining 80% when you are taking it easy; driving below 95% and the Audi will be just as fast and probably feel fairly effortless.

For me it was an easy choice but I am getting old....

Drive both and take your time to decide/find the right car - at the end of the day only one person can make the right choice for you - you (assuming you aren't married then it is your wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Enjoy looking.

Greg

Dude, in the UK we got 30v before you and yes the Scooby king of the ralley or should I say was.

But would you say a Scooby could take on a RS4?

All about money before we get carried away...

Scoobs are relatively cheap and cheap to mod... Audis/RS variants are pricey and even more so to tune.

Scoob if you want to blat around B roads, Audi if you want to cruize in style...

I only chose Audi as it was what I could afford to insure as said above... but now I have owned one - as greg says - its like you have stepped up a notch! Now... given the choice again, would I still WANT the scoob more (probably yes, but shhhhhh... thats not my point :p )