Clutch

voteforpedro

Reaction score
I think I managed to kill my clutch yesterday. I fancied a bit of traffic light grand prix with a Golf GTI and managed to rev it to the redline in first and second... but the car moved no more than 15 yards. Horrible smell when I got it home.

Now the revs jump randomly, mostly in 3rd gear. I guess this is a slipping clutch?

Any recommendations for a replacement clutch? I wouldn't mind replacing it myself... can't be that hard, surely?

Engine out job, but its not hard, more time consuming than anything else.

I'd be tempted if you can afford it to go with a TTV racing "240mm" solid flywheel and an S4 clutch.

To be fair to yourself, the clutch must already have been on its last legs for it to slip like that.

Just a quick questions here, on my a4 1.9tdi my clutch bites right at the top, there is no clutch slip though in any gears, even under hard acceleration, with it being high does that mean its starting to go?

They all seem to bite quite high once they get older. I guess it does mean its "starting" to go, but then its starting to fail as soon as its fitted ;)

I was about to say the same. engine stayed in when mine was done last. easier I would have though than dropping the engine although I think there are a couple of electrical connections that you need to be on the ball with in case you rip them out when you drop the box.

I would drop the box to do it unless you are working on the engine anyway

Last time i did one i changed the oil pump and turb/mani so it made sense to do it in one go and take the engine out. Otherwise the box out everytime

TBH, i'd rather pull the engine with an engine crane etc, than be fumbling around under the car trying to lower 60+kgs worth of transmission by hand onto the floor.

If you've got a 4 post lift and transmission jack then sure, but on the drive with a couple of axle stands, no way would i be pulling the tranny when my cranes sitting there.

plus with a quattro you've got the prop to remove, bits of exhaust to take off to give clearance, silly gear linkages to remove etc etc, its not actually going to be any quicker than pulling the engine.

That guys writeup says he took 7 hours to get the tranny out and 8 to get it back in again, which as mark will attest, is probably longer than it took to get the engine out of, and the replacement fitted to our old FWD.

How long does it take to remove the engine then? Thinking about it, I would prefer doing it that way as at least I can do most of it not underneath my car lol.

Can someone give me a quick list of everything that needs to be removed/detached to pull the whole engine?

I do it everytime by taking the engine out. Its safer to have the engine hanging off a crane than wrestling with a heavy 6 speed box under the car on axle stands. I also work alone and i feel safer that way. I had to pull the engine off a 1.9 tdi last week due to dammage to the flywheel gear and i also fitted a new head to the engine. It took less than 8 hours from start to finish, with plenty tea brakes in between !

Pedro: Mark and i did the engine in the old 1.8t, it took us more or less two 8hr days, taking it slowly, and that included having to strip parts off one engine and ****** about fitting them to the new one, plus installing a flywheel, clutch, timing belt, water pump etc and messing around swapping turbo parts over between two units to build one good unit.

I recon on your first time give yourself two days, it might take less, but theres always teething problems etc.

Before I commit to sorting this clutch bullcrap out, is there anything else it could be? I find it weird that the clutch was absolutely fine for 2 weeks and now it's slipping like a bitch.

Its probably been marginal, and you've finished it it off with your launch?

Might even find some of the springs have broken, hence the sudden drop in grippyness.

The other option for a clutch is an early TDi flywheel, redrilled to take an S2 clutch, which may work out cheaper.

Hmmm. So this morning, driving like a woman, I noticed some more "clutch slippage".

And on the way home from work I noticed none... So I went to the vet to pick up my dog's meds and I gave it some proper beans and it drove perfectly with no slippage whatsoever.

What's that about then? Is there something else it could be?

A sticky Slave cylinder perhaps?

What happens if you deliberately attempt to make it slip? Ie handbrake on, lots of revs and try to "pull away" in 3rd or 4th.

It stalled lol. Here's what I did:

- Handbrake on
- Put into 4th
- Held revs at 2k and let clutch up slowly

The bite was high (as always) but once it passed it it immediately stalled.

try 4k and add some throttle once you get to the bite to try and stop it stalling?

If the clutch was ******** you'd expect it to rev right up, rather than just stall the engine.

Damn. :(

Could let go of clutch pedal with revs held at 4k and didn't stall until I let off the throttle. It's conclusive then!

Just had a dig around the net and it could potentially be fluid-related, e.g. a dodgy seal leaking fluid onto the clutch/flywheel?

yep, or it just happened to grip enough earlier.

If you fully engage the clutch, then apply power, theres less chance of it slipping than if you shift "hard" for instance.

You will be able to see if its a leaking crank seal once the engines out.