Removing inlet manifold

tdia4

TDIPOWARRR
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a guide on removeing the inlet manifold on my car, 1.9tdi 110, i can get to 4 or the 6 hex bolts holding the inlet on but the other 2 have the actuator in the way and i cant seem to find a way or removeing this.

what actuator mate? if its the egr, thats only 4 hex bolts to remove. The vnt one is not in the way of the mani.

If you have the inlet with the built in egr.....dunno lol

Nah mate can get the EGR valve off fine with no probs, had it off today and thought i would get the inlet off to clean it but my turbo actuator is in the way of 2 of the 6 hex bolts holding the inlet on, there must be a way around it without having to take this damn actuator off.

ah sorry, ok might need to remove the turbo too. cant take the vnt actuator off the turbo when its on situ mate. If its in the way, it has to come off too.

Tried a allen key on them buddy but they are stuck solid and i was bending the allen key lol

i use a 24" metal tube with a thick wall and CR-V hardened keys, slip the pipe over the long allen key leg right to the head, and you have massive torque available.

Every foot on the pipe adds to the force (length in feet x force applied) and the key cant bend inside the pipe...hope it helps bud.

(btw if you bend or break an allen key, stop buying them from poundland lol :laugh:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you do have to remove the turbo to get it off, must be a way around it somehow though, going to get myself abit of long pipe to see if i can crack em off without taking the turbo off.

Saying that, if you take off the turbo at least you can clean that out too....the hot side will be caked up if the inlet is.

Right i've been back out and with a peice of pipe(thank you suggesting that) and better set of allen keys i'm able to crack off all the hex bolts, havent taken it off but at least i know i can get it off now without removeing the turbo, so couple of questions, what shall i use to clean the inlet? Carb cleaner? Engine de-greaser? Also should i get a new gasket? It's a metal gasket im sure so you can normally re-use these yeah?

carb cleaner or brake cleaner will probably work fine. You can buy brake cleaner in a 5 litre tub, which is probably more effective than the aerosols

Been doing abit of research, was planning on scrapeing out what i could then leaveing it to soak in brake cleaner or similar for a few hours.

a guy on tdiclub used a pressure washer up the intake spout while the mani was on the ground, damn was it clean! he got a mate to stand on it to hold it still then put the nozzle in the entrance and fired...

Cheers buddy, right going to get myself a couple of cans of carb cleaner and get out what i can with some tooth brushes then going to stick some regreaser is there and give it a blast with the power washer, will see how i get on.