EM TuningBadger5

Thread: Turbo 'Flutter'

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

Status

Turbo 'Flutter'

Hiya
    Just started noticing I'm getting some turbo flutter on gear changes on my 1.8t and I'm sure it didn't used to do that. I've heard this flutter is a bad thing? So is there a problem and what's causing it? wastegate? or is it nothing to worry about and leave it alone?
    Thanks for any help
    Si.

2. # ADS
    ADS

TDIPOWARRR

Status
    Have you recently put a cone filter on it? Could of been you just couldnt hear it before because of standard airbox, I had this problem on my old golf, turned out the standard recirculating valve was knackered and thats why it was fluttering, i changed it for a forge recirculating valve and it stopped doing it. Could just be a pipe that has come off it though or something like that.

Space Cowboy

Status
    if its fluttering, the dv isnt recircing mate, you would hear the tshhh of the dump with a cone filter on the 1.8T, as the dv vents so close to the maf. Flutter is the blades chopping thru reversing compressed air that's bouncing off the closed throttle plate, causes shock waves through the turbo which can damage the blades or twist the shaft, if nothing else it slows the turbine rapidly down below its "stall" speed, if the pressure is not let go when the throttle closes between gears. See if you can blow through the valve when power is applied to it. Sounds like its jammed shut.

If its just a bit of flutter before the valve dumps, it may just be sluggish.
    Last edited by evilscotsman; 22nd September 2010 at 01:40.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Its probably what every chav in the country calls "Wastegate Chatter", which is infact compressor stall, and bugger all to do with the wastegate.

As Evil says, its caused by the compressor "chopping up" air thats backed up inside the inlet, usually as a result of a broken dump valve.

Stick a new 710N on there and hopefully that will cure it.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status
    Thanks for the replies chaps. Would any of you have the part number for the 710N because I can't rely on the intelligence of my local Audi parts dept. Also, is it ok to continue to drive the car like this or is my turbo about to fly apart?
    Sorry for all the questions but this is my first turbo Audi and I'm doing my best to get my head round how it all works.
    Thanks
    Si.

3rd Gear

Status
    06A 145 710N

A4 1.8TQS

Status
    Cheers for the part number, ordered today for 30.57 inc vat.
    Last questions (promise) What size jubilee clips will I need to replace the factory crimp type ones, 20mm x2 ??. I might as well replace the vac line while I'm in there too, is it 4mm?

Space Cowboy

Status
    as long as the clips are slightly bigger they will close down ok so not critical there, and the vac pipe may be 3mm ID, the diesel ones are all 3mm except a couple of bits but not measured the petrol ones.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

3rd Gear

Status
    I just used a zip tie.

A4 1.8TQS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    4mm pipe, i doubt you will get 3mm over the NUB on the DV

Space Cowboy

Status
    some pipes are 4mm and some are 3mm, if he was replacing them all he would likely need both sizes i meant Mark

Status
    A belated update:
    Finally got round to fitting the new valve whilst I had the turbo intake pipe off and it's totally cured the 'flutter' Top advice fella's, cheers!
    Glad I never bothered with the Forge nice shiny billet one coz I didn't realised the dv was down under the chassis leg, you'd never see it!
    Si.

Space Cowboy

Status
    nice one Si glad its fixed

I got my legacy TT with a huge bailey piston DV on it, and its LOUD so I put a sock over it doubled back and forth, quietens it but does flutter slightly as the boost escapes slower lol

Sounds cool tho!

I just found out today why it only does 21mpg....its got anti-lag fitted, no wonder the VOD is non-existent in the first 3 gears and is so brief and only appears at 5k for a split second in 4th and 5th ....it injects raw fuel into the turbo hot-wheels to fire them round and keep them spinning - thats why it sounds like a demented megatron when you rev it! Backfires and pops on the over-run too, sounds fookin wicked.

Had it at kwikcrap for its mot today, the guy went wtf is that thing plumbed into the up pipe - looks like a second lambda but its got a pipe coming from a box connected to the fuel system....turned out to be an anti-lag injector unit!
    Last edited by evilscotsman; 2nd November 2010 at 21:05.

Status
    The flutter did sound a bit cool... but on balance I really don't need any headaches with this car so standard is the way to go for me. The car is fast enough for me, so I'm not arsed with any mods unless they are tried and tested, reliable improvements.
    The new dv has made quite a difference and the engine seems a lot more responsive and free revving. Think the old one's been knackered for quite a while.
    Si.
    2000 1.8t quattro Sport totally standard (ish)