Grinding

scoops42

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Audi S4 and I am suddenly hearing a very loud grinding noise coming from my engine. It ran fine with no noise, I parked it went to class, and came out an hour later started it up and heard the sound. at first it sounded like a belt squeek but now its just grinding. The check engine light came on so i hooked up my CEL and i got three codes.

P0300- Cyl. Misfire Detected
P1136- Bank 1 Mixture Adaptation too lean
P1347- Bank 2 Crank/Cam sensor out of sequence.

Could any of these codes cause a grinding sound coming from the engine?
Any help is appreciated.

Don't take my word for it but with any grinding sound i would not use my car until it was checked out. Just to make sure there was no extra damage.

Yeah I know I am definetly not driving it.

Don't mean to worry you, but it sounds nasty. Get it looked at ASAP!

Well since you weren't getting any error codes before the noise, I would say that the noise is related to what the check engine error codes are. Call up your stealer or who ever does your work and get it looked at. Since you know what the engine error codes are you have good idea what is wrong and can communicate that to them.

P1347- Bank 2 Crank/Cam sensor out of sequence.
This one's not a very good one. If the camshaft and crankshaft are out of sequence, it could have the potential to be almost as bad as if your timing belt had snapped. I would have that towed to a mechanic and have it looked at ASAP. I'll check the manual and see if I can find any specifics on that particular code.

*Edit* the manual doesn't say much, but you will probably have to adjust/replace the cam and/or crank position sensors and have the timing done on it. Let us know what you find out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Oh dear... sounds bad. Hope you get it sorted mate! :/