Knocking and rattling after having steering rack changed.

NATE6874

Reaction score
Hi, I had my stearing rack changed earlier in the year, when i picked the car up it all seemed fine.
After driving the car around for about 10 minutes or so there was a knocking and rattling coming from the engine bay that I could feel through the pedals.
I took it back to the garage the following day and they had a look at it and checked the bolts while I was there. they said everything was tight and couldn't find the problem. I thought it might have been the aircon pipes being disturbed by the mechanic so I packed them out with pipe lagging. It hasn't changed a thing. Is there something the mechanic might have missed or broken?

when does it knock? only when moving, or only when steering, or even just the engine running?

The B5 rack is a bitch of a job in labour terms, autodata show it in red as it lists 8 hours plus lol so they may have skipped something. I went to a good local mechanic when my other B5 rack went a couple of years ago and he looked it up in front of me, eeek it was expensive to do. I scrapped the car at the time for it, and the guy that bought it intended to repair it as it was a very tidy car, but it ended up broken cos he said it was too much hassle as well.

Lol it might be a bitch of a job, but not enough to scrap a car over!

I'd be taking it back to them and getting them to fix it. They broke it!

lol not suggesting the op scraps his haha but i was on the dole for a few months after redundancy wi no severance as the company went bust suddenly, well we never knew till it was too late, and it was beyond me to afford at the time.

aye theres the rub tho, I live in a wee narrow village street and theres no room to do anything unless you want yer legs run over by a local ned flooring it up the lane in second lol. You cant even get in the car if theres another one coming along till it passes.

Wish I had a fapping garage and ramp or pit grrrr.

aye, very true.

I'm so glad of my driveway and garage.

Move house!

(PS: where are you going to put the B6 when your breaking it...)

well....thats the other problem. lol

hence ive not brought it back yet :)