Facelift headlights

sprint_48

Reaction score
Website
www.badlyparkeddubs.co.uk
Hi

Thinking about fitting facelift headlights to my 98 B5.

Anyone know what the best kit is? Don't want mickey mouse after market stuff that's going to leak and fog up etc.

OEM Audi units direct fit? Cost?

Cheers
S

I done it on mine just gotta keep an eye out on ebay i picked em up for bout 30 quid each, but i had to make sure i asked the breakers to keep the connectors that go on to back of the lights as you'll have to do a chopping to get them to work as the pre facelift light connectors are a bit different to the facelift ones, plus u need to cut a little bit of the wing out to get them to fit, you wont be able to physically see the cut though, theres a guide on here i'll dig out for u which is what i used, but ill do that tomorrow lol im going to bed ha.

As said, you can pick up a pair of genuine ones on eBay for fairly cheap. Try and get the connectors too. I wouldn't pay more than £60 for the pair.

As for fitting them, you will need to remove the front bumper to remove the old headlights. There's some metal that sticks in the way on the inside of the wing - this needs to be chopped down to enable the new headlights to fit. Angle grinder is recommended, but I used a Dremel. :) Just keep grinding away and trial fitting them until they sit nicely. They will mount up to the original mounting points.

Then you need to sort the wiring out. If you got the connectors then it's straightforward as the wires are the same colour - just chop the plug off the end of the the old loom and solder the wires to the new connector. The adjustment motors have different colour wires so it's a little trial and error there.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Had heard about the wing chopping, but hoped that was only for the aftermarket gear. A bit daunting hacking into your pride and joy!
Will keep an eye out on the bay for a set anyway. Any tips for spotting a genuine set?

Cheers for the replies guys.

Had heard about the wing chopping, but hoped that was only for the aftermarket gear. A bit daunting hacking into your pride and joy!
Will keep an eye out on the bay for a set anyway. Any tips for spotting a genuine set?

I believe 99.9% of the ones on eBay would be genuine. But usually they will have a yellow Valeo sticker on them.