Anybody running nitrous?

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Just been out in a friends play car (Fiesta 1.1 Bonus covered in naff stickers and fitted with steel wheels but running an RS1800 Zetec motor with a Wizzards of Nos nitrous kit). I was really impressed with how linear the delivery of power was.

Anybody running it on their A4? What kit? How do you find it?

wizards of nos are well known.
engine strength is the deciding factor,you can use varying sized jets.25hp - 250+hp.
if your engine is a high miler and tired a 250 hp shot of nos will make it fly.....to its death!!

from what i remember,nos it activated only when using full throttle,so would ensure your engine is in good health first!!also clutch and gearbox condition/wear is something to think about.was at bruntingthorpe recently when a corsa turbo with nos burnt 2 clutches out doing full bore launches.when an uprated clutch went in,he blew his g/box!

Nos is for Noobs lol :)

Andy Lally who used to race an imprezza at Knockhill blew 3 different engines on Nos, so he put a seriously built motor in to withstand the onslaught and then burst several clutches, so fitted a 6 puck race clutch at over a grand, then it burst the gearbox in 2, he bought a US race-spec box, and it threw a driveshaft during a launch and ripped the floorpan up. He gave up on Nos. Saying that, he was trying to put 400hp down using 6k launches....

It would be fun on an old beater or play car but when the bottle runs out, your back to normal till you fill up so doesnt seem so great for daily use, but then again it is only triggered at WOT so its not gonna go down unless you use it a lot, which you wouldnt, would you? lol ;)

You should ask over on 'zine mate, the yankeees all love Nos.

It generally works really well on turbocharged cars, because it has the side effect of reducing inlet temperatures significantly.

As for wether its a good idea, it depends why your using it. If your doing it because your car is underpowered, then i'd say no, because you'll just end up squirting it all the time and spending millions in gas refills. If your doing it because most of the time the cars fine, but now and then you feel it needs a bit extra go, then its probably a viable option.

As for blowing things up, it needs to be setup properly, if it is then it should be fine. Its probably also worth using a progressive controller, as its much kinder on the engine than slamming 50hp extra into it in one hit.

anyone who uses nitrous on launching deserves to lose a gearbox/clutch.
It is a self induced torque spike. they kill engines on stock 1.8t with a dodgy mapped Ko4, why do they think it will be advisable from a standing start?!

most decent controllers wont squirt without reaching a certain rev and load range and then come in slowly and progressively.

dont see the point really. its a quick fix but expensive.
sure it is a bit like a coke addiction......everything goes by a bit quicker but you have a large hole in your wallet to do it all the time!