Under Carpet Sound Deadening Suggestions......

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Gents. Hope everyones well. Havnt been around here for a few months due to work and a newborn......

My rear washer jet pipe popped off when the washer stalk was stuck on permanent send. To cut a long story short it emptied the entire FULL resevoir into the passenger side of my interior. Having removed All the trim, seats and taken out the carpet it is absolutely gopping!! It stinks (even though I have tried it out in my boiler room which took almost a week by itself!). The entire passenger side when the carpet is removed was under a thin film of water. Everything is now dry and I took the opportunity to sort out the messy wiring and a few other odds and sods. I could really do with a replacement carpet from Audi but I'm a bit wary as I suspect they will prob be £££$$$$$!!!! I'm now thinking about laying black sub carpet thats used to wrap sub enclosures. I reckon if done carefully it could work out alright. I've been looking into dynamatt to replace the sponge sound deadening attached to the audi carpet but its stupidly expensive (prob be cheaper to buy a new oe carpet!). Does anyone know of a good alternative....?? Cheers gents.

Ollie

I dunno how flexible it is once its out, but if you wanted to get the smell out, you could perhaps put it in the washing machine/tumble dryer? Might need a big laundrette sized one mind!

The other option would be to get another carpet from a breakers?

some people have used the kind of heavy roofing underlay. it is self adhesive and similar consistancy to dynamat, just a **** load cheaper!!

I have a hot water jet wash and it does the job on all sorts, trainers, carpets, dogs, kids, paving slabs....

Yhanks for the replies gentlemen! The roofing underlay sounds like a top idea. Ideally Dynamat would be the correct choice but I'm haemorrageing money on baby stuff at the mo so dont have the luxury of choice! I have both jetwashed and put previous cars carpets in the wash before and for some reason they always seemed to dry put of shape and didnt fit properly ever again. Going to phone Audi and see how much a new carpet would be. Does anyone know if they did a jet black carpet as mines a very dark grey.

I was looking into this a couple of year ago, and the cost was around £500.

welcome back ollie,and congratulations.
if it helps,although its a saloon,all my interior trim is up for grabs?

Hello Gents. Hope everyones well. Havnt been around here for a few months due to work and a newborn......
Hey Ollie welcome back and most of all congratulations mate! boy or girl? hopefully mother and baby are doing well?
ive also heard roofing stuff is good, also Silent Coat seems to be good also available from Car audio direct, i think they are on and bay of the e with free post

Going to phone Audi and see how much a new carpet would be. Does anyone know if they did a jet black carpet as mines a very dark grey.
PM millsy he is has a carpet for sale, i know yours is an avant im pretty sure its the same carpet
HTH

thanks rasA4,
my carpet is dark grey,and to you ollie,as a congratulations present,is free.
give me a pm and we'll sort out the details

Ollie cant say fairer than that, and thanks millsy its a nice thought!

no problem,looking after your car is expensive enough,but when a nipper turns up.....!!
all the best ollie,hope this helps