DMF problem?

SteVR

Reaction score
After some opinions guys.
Driving home from work this evening I noticed that at times I am getting vibrations through the clutch pedal it gets worse at higher rpms when you lift off the accelerator, when you apply some "gas" it pretty much goes away. Also when stationary you can hear the clutch which stops when the pedal is depressed. The clutch doesnt seem to slip so I am guessing this is probably the dual mass flywheel at fault?

Ok this is only happening when you lift off and doesn’t happen once the accelerator is pressed. Has anyone experienced any thing like this before? I am not familiar with the DM flywheels.

quite likely the DMF.
when continually under load it will compress any slackness in the bushing so you dont have the clunking.
what does it do when you go from clutch down to engage and disengage again almost straight away? i.e can you feel the clunking when you are just on and off the biting point?

its not a big job to replace it but it does involve either shelling out for a new DMF and clutch or swapping it for a single mass either an aftermarket one or an audi one from another car

ours seemed to jam at one point, reversing and pulling away was REALLY juddery, but even in that state i never noticed any vibration when driving, bar when slipping the clutch.

That said, from your description it does seem like a viable diagnosis.

quite likely the DMF.
when continually under load it will compress any slackness in the bushing so you dont have the clunking.
what does it do when you go from clutch down to engage and disengage again almost straight away? i.e can you feel the clunking when you are just on and off the biting point?

its not a big job to replace it but it does involve either shelling out for a new DMF and clutch or swapping it for a single mass either an aftermarket one or an audi one from another car

Well the vibration has stopped these last couple of days. I need to replace the oil cooler this weekend along with a oil and filter change so will investigate further at the same time. I cant feel a clunking as you mentioned, its a bit strange!