Panel infront of intercooler....

tonya4

TDi Powerrrr
Reaction score
was looking around my TDi earlier and noticed a plastic panel between the front bumper and the intercooler.Is it safe to remove it?My thought is that it's blocking the airflow to the intercooler.
thanks
tony

not sure what you mean?

Not seen a TDi, but on the 1.8T theres a piece of cowling that runs from the cooler to the bumper

You need the ducting in place from the bumper or teh air will take the easy route of passing round the cooler rather than through it. If you mean the wheel arch liner I modified mine in an attempt to improve things

thanks for the replies

the panel is just behind the lower bumper grill,next to the foglight
(it's a facelift)

tony

any pics?

the bumper grille should open out onto a ducting that directs the air streight to the cooler...

Perhaps the bumpers been off before and been refitted badly so the duct has bent up or something?

Leave it where it is mate, it looks like it may be a hinderance but it does force air to pass through the coolers fins rather than round the cooler which will lose a lot of the cooling ability

ok,thanks again

just thought it could be removed and allow better airflow to the intercooler,but will leave it alone

tony

I been wondering about this. It should be possible to make a square duct to funnel air onto the cooler, making it the dimensions of the bumper hole, going to the side area of the cooler like a back to front square funnel. If it almost mates snugly up to the cooler you can put rubber edging round the inner end so it doesnt damage the fins and mesh the front so it doesnt pick up stones and chuck them thru the alloy cooler core....not good.

The grille really protects the cooler from this happening but a straight duct and mesh would be better for power.