Chris NottBadger5
    Nez
    3rd Gear

Status

Help brake caliper bleed valve is damage :(

Hi guys after I fitted my new pads I tried to bleed the breaks and by mistake I damaged the bleeding valve and now its leaking and its damaged from inside the caliper how can I fix this the valve its self is not damaged its the housing of it that is damage
    (Audi S4 351.9 PS, 603 Nm, MRC Custom Remap XS Power DP's, Cat Back Exhaust, Forge DV, RS4 Intercoolers, RS4 Breaks and Induction kit)

Traffic Exchange Site http://www.limehits4u.com/

2. # ADS
    ADS

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    how did you damage it? normally you can only shear the nipple off.
    if the caliper itself is damamged I am not sure you can do anything other than swap it for one that is not damaged

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    how did you damage it? normally you can only shear the nipple off.
    if the caliper itself is damamged I am not sure you can do anything other than swap it for one that is not damaged
    I was trying to luck the valve and I over luck it and inside the housing valve get damaged.
    (Audi S4 351.9 PS, 603 Nm, MRC Custom Remap XS Power DP's, Cat Back Exhaust, Forge DV, RS4 Intercoolers, RS4 Breaks and Induction kit)

Space Cowboy

Status
    if you have stripped the threads in the bleed nipple socket, the caliper will need replaced.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    the caliper is cast steel, the nipple is alloy, you could cross thread that thing all day long and all you will do is strip the thread ON THE NIPPLE.
    can you post a pic as I am still not sure what you have done.

if the nipple thread came off you may just have swarf or bits left in the hole which could look worse than it is. you can chase that out with a tap (cheap tap and die set will cost you 20-30 from machine mart or similar)

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Alloy nipples? dont think so! The nipple and other hydraulic fittings are all steel.

They're RS4 calipers too, which i'm pretty sure will be alloy, so you've most likely stripped the thread out the caliper.

It will need bored out to a larger size, retapped and the sealing seat might need recut too.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    the caliper is cast steel, the nipple is alloy, you could cross thread that thing all day long and all you will do is strip the thread ON THE NIPPLE.
    can you post a pic as I am still not sure what you have done.

if the nipple thread came off you may just have swarf or bits left in the hole which could look worse than it is. you can chase that out with a tap (cheap tap and die set will cost you 20-30 from machine mart or similar)
    I have damaged the thread only and the nipple is not damage, I will try to take picture of it.

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Here is the picture of the caliper:

Space Cowboy

Status
    just suction out the swarf with a vacuum cleaner and screw a new nipple in, see if it seals. The nipple will be steel but as long as a new one screws down a few bad threads isnt the end of the world, it doesnt look chewed up in there yet.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by evilscotsman View Post
    just suction out the swarf with a vacuum cleaner and screw a new nipple in, see if it seals. The nipple will be steel but as long as a new one screws down a few bad threads isnt the end of the world, it doesnt look chewed up in there yet.
    I don't know I am thinking to retap the thread and then put a new nipple.

Space Cowboy

Status
    as long as you get all the swarf out, especially even tiny particles. Stick a neo magnet on the tap so it collects the cuttings and particles as it turns - so just run the same size tap thru, the point on the nipple is what seals the hole, using force developed from the threads, the threads are not really a seal themselves but enable the nipple's tapered point to plug the hole in the bottom and stay there. They just need cleaned out with a plug tap (dont use a taper tap, it will bottom out before it gets halfway down the hole)

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    hes already stripped the threads....

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    hes already stripped the threads....
    Yea thats true

6th Gear

Status
    s/h caliper will be the best bet. steel nipple in an ally caliper will always cause problems, never used to be like it on old audis..... but still versprung dik technik... or whatever the marketing department say.......

Nez
    3rd Gear

Status
    Good News caliper has been fixed after putting new valve everything is back to normal and there is no leaking.
    Thanks for all the helps guys

Space Cowboy

Status
    np nez