A Question for Aragorn

ScottyP45

Reaction score
Hi mate, sorry about this, tried to pm you but your inbox is full!

I have to remove 2 non leaking injector pipes (at the Bosch inj pump face) to get to the lower one thats leaking, is there any precautions before unscrewing the pipes? like in a common rail I know the drill but not removed any pipes from an audi tdi rotary pump jobbie, I suppose theres no pressure at all when its been off for a bit unlike the crtdi?

and no doubt the injector ends will need cracked open and the engine cranked to bleed the lines before starting again?

Hope its not the middle pump seal thats leaking :(

Cheers, Scott.

Shouldnt be any pressure in the pipes, as the only way to stop a derv is to cut the fuel.

I THINK these engines are supposed to self bleed, so just try tightening everything up and winding it over for a bit.

Ye thaught so. Not all engines are though, dads old transit needed to crack the injectors open if you ran it dry, although you'd usually only need to do two or three before it started.

yeah, thats what I was thinking. I know the pug & alfa hdi's have a pressurised rail that needs dropped before you open anything, but was sure the tdi would have none when stopped. I just dont want to unscrew the inj pipes from the pump and find I cant just put them back cos some seal or other is needed, but hopefully they are just threaded like normal unions.

The way the 4 pipes are packed together, I cant get at the lower one that seems to be leaking without removing the upper 2, but also hope its not coming from the pump itself somewhere. I can get a spare pump but dont want to go down that road with no timing tools for it.

i might have the timing tools somewhere, baught some ages ago to time up a VW TD engine in a golf, so assuming the tools are the same and i can find them i could post them up to you.