Hid xenons !!

Oh no, not more cheap crap HID retro-fits going around blinding the rest of us for no reason... just what we need.

neither is doing 35 in a 30...but I have only ever been pulled for that not my lights.. : )

I have a set of retro HID's from HIDs4u and no issues from cops or MOT...
I see no problem. sure your safety on the road is important too...

bought some of them cheap chinese ones and ripped them out after a few months, light output was worse

The fact that you might not get any trouble with the police doesnt make them any less illegal.

Thats a bit like saying i've driven around with bald tyres or no insurance for the last year and havent had any trouble, so it must be fine to do it.

Obviously its up to each one of us to decide if we want to fit them (or drive around at 50 in a 30 limit, or drive with no insurance etc), i'm just letting the guy know that they're illegal, so he can make his own mind up!

bought some of them cheap chinese ones and ripped them out after a few months, light output was worse

I had exactly the same experience. The first eBay 'HID kit' I bought was about £35 from China and was worse than halogens. It was fecking daft. There I was, driving along in a 400bhp S4 that i'd chucked £000's at so I could go fast, but due to a bit of cost-cutting on the lights I was limited to about 80mph on a Motorway at night because any faster and you were literally just guessing where the road took you next. Stuck them in the bin and paid around £80 for a decent 55W HID kit. They were and still are as good as OEM. The difference was very much night and day (groan).

The fact that you might not get any trouble with the police doesnt make them any less illegal.

Thats a bit like saying i've driven around with bald tyres or no insurance for the last year and havent had any trouble, so it must be fine to do it.
Couldn't agree more.

It actually has more to do wit the fact that we have far fewer cops about these days and they pay less attention to these things.
I didn't get caught so it was obviously OK lol

Blue_Thunder: The S4 has xenons from the factory, so why are you messing around with **** ebay kits?

Fitted facelift headlights and sold my pre-facelift setup complete to a forum member here.

Had I have realised how ***** the Chinese HID kits were before fitting them, I would have just used the bulbs and ballasts from my original lights.

I had exactly the same experience. The first eBay 'HID kit' I bought was about £35 from China and was worse than halogens. It was fecking daft. There I was, driving along in a 400bhp S4 that i'd chucked £000's at so I could go fast, but due to a bit of cost-cutting on the lights I was limited to about 80mph on a Motorway at night because any faster and you were literally just guessing where the road took you next. Stuck them in the bin and paid around £80 for a decent 55W HID kit. They were and still are as good as OEM. The difference was very much night and day (groan).

Where did you get the decent HID kit from? I have considered fitting HID's to my B6, but still just not quite sure I want to do it.

HIDs-Direct or HIDS4U - either one have a good rep.

I got two sets... one from each. Similar pricing and the exact same product.