Stupid question alert

voteforpedro

Reaction score
There's a pipe that runs from the turbo to the sump. If I undo this pipe at the sump, will the oil drain out?

Another question:

If I drain the sump then remove the pipe, how much oil will drain from the turbo? Need to know what to expect as my landlord won't appreciate my getting oil over their drive...

you will get some oil from the turbo oil return pipe

get a cardboard box open it up put under sump/oil pipe with washing up bowl on top cardboard box to catch any oil and remove the pipe
get a cloth to wipe away any drops of oil
DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE AT THIS POINT OR YOU WILL EMPTY YOUR SUMP AND STUFF YOU ENGINE ETC

The sump end is below the normal oil level afaik, so yes, if you remove it without draining the oil you'll end up with half the sump contents on the floor.

If you drain the sump first, you shouldnt get much more than a trickle out of the drain pipe, but as folk have said, stick some cardboard down just to make sure any stray drips dont stain the ground.

I've just made a couple of wooden steps about 1.5" high from some 3/4" off cuts and drive the car up on those!
Give me perfect clearance for sump drain and tools & the sump plug is towards the back of the sump anyway, so the slight incline (half a degree!) kind of aids drainage... Kind of...

Last edited:
Shouldnt need to jack it up unless its particularly low!

I don't have a washing basin, just a bucket. :(

I've just made a couple of wooden steps about 1.5" high from some 3/4" off cuts and drive the car up on those!
Give me perfect clearance for sump drain and tools & the sump plug is towards the back of the sump anyway, so the slight incline (half a degree!) kind of aids drainage... Kind of...

I have some ramps but I don't have an engine or steering wheel...

EDIT. I do have an engine, it's just not connected to anything. :p