A4 heater matrix replacement

Miller

Reaction score
Audi A4 Avant, 1.9 tdi, 166k miles

Wet front and rear passenger foot wells to , hopefully, discover whether or not the heater matrix is faulty I shall disconnect both heater pipes at the bulk head and join together with copper pipe, no water loss then it must be the matrix. I'm not looking forward to removing the fascia to check the matrix!

Have carried out a forum search but can't find a thread relating directly to replacing a heater matrix so if anyone can post up a link I'd be very grateful.

The car is consuming approx 1 litre water every 300 miles or so, no sign of leaks other than the foot wells

Any advice will be very much appreciated

Its more likely to be blocked scuttle drains TBH mate.

If the matrix was gone you'd have a sauna effect when you put the heater on...

a dash out job if needed, i did one over two nights about £100 for original audi matrix possible though i used haynes manual handy to find all the fixing's

taste the water in the footwells. is it sweet? antifreeze tastes sweet. if it isnt then its not antifreeze/coolant. dont swallow any tho, its poisnous! just dip your finger in it and put it on your tongue. id have a glass of water present to wash your mouth out after.

Thanks for advice I do hope it's the blocked scuttle drains, but how do you account for the rad water level dropping?.

Will investigate further and report back

Just cleaned my scuttle drains out. well took the rubber bits out completely. Hopefully that will stop my driverside footwell getting wet all the time.
They were clogged up with crap.

It could be a corroded radiator. look in the bottom corners for crusty pink deposits if yo're running G12 antifreeze...