Polybush kit..

Alan V6

Reaction score
Would this still be okay for the FWD 2.4 V6??

Also would a garage charge a fortune for the changing of these? I am pretty competent mechanicaly but havn't got a lot of tools etc and i should imagine some of the bolts/old bushes will be hard to remove? :(

Thanks

diy or expect a four figure bill! i paid for mine to be fitted when i had the suspension done.
would diy in future
not as tricky as it sounds on most bits

Four figures?? Jeez that bad?? So i should maybe do them bit at a time? Whcih are easy and hard etc?

hard ones are pulling the oem ones out of the loer fronts. anything that has a pressed steel case iont aluminium can be a chore. may as well do them all at once TBH, just get a press, penies from machine mart or a load a beer from a garage that has one

bit of overkill at 12tons
would work though

TBH if you fit Powerflex they are two peice and can be fitted by hand.
if you dont mind cutting, drilling, grinding the old ones out it can be done with a few hand/power tools, that way you can swerve the press purchase.

the biggest problem with the cheap ones like that is it says 12 tonnes but doesnt give you a pressure guage.

Most bottle jacks have a pressure releif valve which will pop once the jacks pressure has been exceeded, but thats not really the safest thing to be happening is it?

bit of overkill at 12tons
would work though

TBH if you fit Powerflex they are two peice and can be fitted by hand.
if you dont mind cutting, drilling, grinding the old ones out it can be done with a few hand/power tools, that way you can swerve the press purchase.

did my old golf using that method and thought never again

ive got plenty of space for the press and figure id be able to do bearings etc with it in the future
how much pressure would it need?

A couple of tonnes unless they're particularly stuck i'd recon, but given the shonkyness of those ebay ones, i'd be going for the biggest you can afford.

I did my golf with Prothane which are one peice. if that is what you have a vice will get them in.
It is getting the steel sheathed OEM ones out that requires the effort, £100 buys a lot of beer.
I would be getting busy with a drill and a chisel. drill the rubber out and aim the chisel at the outer edge of the sheath to knock the edge in.

seriously just did this on a full rear suspension (top wishbones L&R, lower wishbones L&R) took me less than 30-40 mins to get the old original ones out. just go easy and dont cut into the arm.

if you were doing the front I would say get the press. Aluminium arms dont like hammers/drills/grinders!!

ha ha, fair enough
what poly brand are you using?

only thing I forgot to do when doing them this time was grease them, now sounds like I am running over frogs when I go over speed bumps!

i got complete rear powerflex for £60 and front arm shock mounts for £10 on ebay, i think the guy couldnt be bothered fitting them

dont think i'd of bought them at full cost but couldnt resist for that price

not bad. I think a front to back kit is over £300 IIRC.
get some silicon grease or I used some copper grease to stop the squeak

Thanks for all the comments guys,

Wish i'd done a bit more research before i bought my car because changing all these bushes is gonna cost me a lot of time and money! Gonna tackle the gear linkage first methinks and quickshift it etc.

they came with little packs of lube but not sure whats in them and they look a bit small