Why did audi make it expensive to get decent power?

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
Its a bit of a pain how you cant do anything simple to get good power from the 1.8t in a b5. I know a remap gets you about 200bhp but its not exactly a flying machine with that,my quattro isnt anyway. It would have been nice if the s3 K04 would fit as a cheaper option to get more power. Is it just me that feels like this? It may just be i had jap cars before and its simple to get good power gains and cheap in comparrison.

It may just be i had jap cars before and its simple to get good power gains and cheap in comparrison.
I'm assuming you had turbo Jap cars then cos NA Jap cars are(typically) very hard to get gains from.

Yeah turbo ones. Pulsar then st205 GT4.

The stock turbo is small, because it gives nice low end spool, and makes the engine feel like a larger NA engine, rather than a turbocharged one.

The S3 turbo doesnt fit, because the engine is mounted longitudinally. You could bolt the turbo to the cylinder head, but all the pipes etc would end up in completely the wrong place, and depeding on the orientation, the turbo might even be wedged against the bulkhead etc, i've never looked too closely.

The engine in the S3 application is designed as a performance option, hence the big K04 turbo and big power figures. The A4 engine isnt.

Its a bit of a pain how you cant do anything simple to get good power from the 1.8t in a b5. I know a remap gets you about 200bhp but its not exactly a flying machine with that,my quattro isnt anyway. It would have been nice if the s3 K04 would fit as a cheaper option to get more power. Is it just me that feels like this? It may just be i had jap cars before and its simple to get good power gains and cheap in comparrison.

what power and how cheap?1.8t is one of the most tuneable and bulletproof engines out there. I dont know too many other engines where drop in rods are the only limiting hardware factor (block) to 350bhp.
if the turbo you buy from the showroom is capable of being chipped to that level from stock it must have been very laggy when run at OEM levels.
its all a trade off

agree with JCB, the engines are virtually bullet proof, the rods being the main restriction, 300bhp on std internals is double the power they were designed for, a few upgrades and you can get 400 upwards, these engines have produced 700+bhp.

150 to 200bhp with a chip ain't bad, these aren't all out performance cars to start with.

I understand why the turbo is small and why the s3 one won't fit,would just be nice if it did. 270 bhp would be a nice sensible figure anyway.

I'm just having a moan because I want it to be faster. It's a TQS so started with 180 bhp. I know you can get a lot from the engines it's just a pitty you can't get to say 270 bhp easy then having to get more involved for 300+.

my R32 isn't cheap either, i start off with 240bhp, usual exhaust and high flow cats cost about £900, plus £400 for remap, that gets you about 260bhp. then it's induction filter kit, another £200 cams about £1200 - £1500. at that point you're at about 270 to 280bhp, 290bhp is you're lucky.

next is turbo or supercharger, £4500 for a crappy 340bhp ish. or £6.5k for not great kit giving 450bhp or good turbo kit 475bhp for £9k.

of if you are insane, £20k will get you 600 -650bhp, but then you need an endless supply of gearboxes.

get yourself an S4 mate lol they only restriction in power is your wallet, ive read and heard that the 1.8T is one of the best around now and gaining a good reputation but like any car, if your starting with a big power car then going to a lower power car such as the 180TQS then its obvious you wont get around 270 from a remap like you can with the 225 TT 1.8T but if you were to put 3-4K into it then im sure you can get good power from it but dont quote me on that sort of money as im not that too familiar with the engine but im sure these lads such as mark could tell you wot you can get for around 3-4K.

theres a good question for you lads.....Wot power can you get for £4000(assuming the car already has good exhaust system)

get yourself an S4 mate lol they only restriction in power is your wallet, ive read and heard that the 1.8T is one of the best around now and gaining a good reputation but like any car, if your starting with a big power car then going to a lower power car such as the 180TQS then its obvious you wont get around 270 from a remap like you can with the 225 TT 1.8T but if you were to put 3-4K into it then im sure you can get good power from it but dont quote me on that sort of money as im not that too familiar with the engine but im sure these lads such as mark could tell you wot you can get for around 3-4K.

theres a good question for you lads.....Wot power can you get for £4000(assuming the car already has good exhaust system)

Good call, Why spend 3-4k on mods when you could have an S4 :laugh:

well i rebuilt my 1.8T engine and got ready to slap a big turbo on, that cost me £5k without engine management/mapping and clutch/flywheel. that would have been good for about 400-450bhp.

engine is for sale for £1500 at the moment without turbo (that got stolen before i fitted!), with 8,000 miles on if anyone is interested. to get the same from scratch would cost you about £400 for a base engine pluse £3200 for the build.