New Member - S4 squeeks driving me mad

Paintguy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I used to lurk around here a while back when I had an A8, but after going through several different motors I've now landed myself my dream car - a 1999 S4 Avant

It was ridiculously cheap, but has a few issues I need to deal with. Some I've managed to research a bit so know roughly what to do - leaking washer bottle/pump (replace), radio with a mind of it's own (getting replaced), and the ABS light is on (diagnostic check shows up rear ABS sensor fault). It also needs the front top suspension arms changing as they knock like mad, but at the price I paid for it I can afford to spend a bit to get things like that fixed.

Anyway, after rambling on, I finally come to my questions:

1) The drivers window gives out a horrendous squeak/squeal as it goes up. I've had the door card off and tried cleaning up the runners and lubricating with dry silicon lubricant, but that's made it worse if anything! Is there anything specific that you recommend? Would white lithium spray grease be a better idea?

2) Nearside rear suspension is squeaking and driving me insane! It happens when the suspension moves very slightly - 5mm or less - and is most noticeable at low speeds on undulating surfaces. It can be made to appear easily by 'bouncing' the car when stood, and is loud enough to be heard outside the car at some distance. It almost sounds like the disc back plate, but that doesn't seem to be touching anything it shouldn't.

I've tried a squirt of WD on all of the bushes & joints to try and track it down, but to no avail. Any suggestions please?

Sorry to dive straight in with problems for you guys (and a bloomin' long post!!), but I'm sure you'll like me once you get to know me ;)

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

1) i suspect you're going to have to remove all the seals and give them a really good scrubbing to remove all the gunk thats on them. Dont put lithium grease near it!

2)Jack the car up and remove the wheel, then you can wiggle things and track it down directly. Sounds a bit like a bush has unbonded itself.

make sure the concave washer on the bush of rear arm at top is correct way round, I fitted mine incorrectly and it squeeked like you described