Removal & refitting of the front subframe rubber bushes without spending £££ on tools

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've removed the front subframe and want replace the 4 bonded rubber bushes, as they are just about shot. I've looked at elaswin and they use a removal tool to extract the rubber bush, I've had a quick search on google and extraction/insertion tool is about £80+ .

Anyone knows if there is a cheaper way to get this done, other then go to a garage :think:

Also is there a way removing/killing the rust on the inside of the subframe?

To remove the bushes you can fashion up some bits of metal and big washers, plus some decent guage threaded rod.

Basically you need one piece of tube that sits snugly on the outer bush casing, and one piece of tube that will sit against the subframe on the other side, thats bigger than the bush, in order to allow you to draw it thru.

The some plate or big washers and a couple of nuts.

When i did the rear axle bushes, i didnt have tube the right size, so i took a smaller piece, cut it length ways, and opened it out until it was a snug fit for the bush, Did the same again on the other side and drew it through.

I have a photo of the same idea with some polybushes if you want me to post it?

getting them out is easy.
take an angle grinder and carefully trim away some overlapping rubber from one side then one quick smack with a hammer and they are out.
getting them back in is also pretty easy, I used two flat plates an a threaded bar, tighten the nut until the first lip is in and then you can either just keep tightening or give the top plate a smack with a rubber hammer to speed it up, there is a "rear suspension rebuild" thread on here with some pics

I just did all my rear subframe bushes, plates were scrap I had lying around and the threaded bar was less than a fiver