OEM Brake upgarde ??

the 312mm carriers from a tt work with original calipers just need new discs

if you can get them cheap ill have a set

your avant looks very tidy by the way

Cheers.. So just Normal TT carriers (98-04 ish) and any 312 discs again TT, golf anni etc ? And just normal pads ?

Will get a price tomorow

TT disks dont work, they're 5x100mm pcd.

You need 312mm disks from a B6 A4.

TT carriers as jcb says then the original caliper and standard B5 A4 pads.

The carriers are stupid money new (~£200) so you'd be better trying to find a used set. Unfortunately, the TT calipers are commonly used as an upgrade for golfs and A3's and most breakers know this and want to sell the whole setup rather than just the carriers.

Or standard s4 brakes if you can get the uprights. The brakes from a b5 wont cost you much at all. You will need to change your wheels though.

Cheers chaps.. Will get parts to price it up as my front dics and pads are low so need to do somthing

I dont think theres much point going to S4 stuff, they're not bigger than the 312's by enough, and the 312's fit under the stock wheels just fine.

Plus the S4 stuff requires you to change the uprights, and the HP2 calipers arent very good imo.

are all B6 312mm ?? Just need to get a reg or chassis so I can get it priced?

Audi a6 2.5 tdi quattro from 2000 onwards comes with 312mm brakes as standard. They have the AKE 180Bhp engine code.

I can get you a nr plate off me avant tdi quattro with 312mm as standard...

depends on the exact model, but most of them are narrow spaced like the B5.

Only the big engined B6's have 312's, but its really obvious when you open ETKA. If your parts guy cant work it out he shoudlnt be in the job.

Having a specific car (like adams example of a 2.5tdi a6 quattro) doesnt really help, as etka doesnt categorise brakes by engine type, but having the PR code for the braking system would.

If you want i can give you the audi part number for the disks you need?

Ok.

B6 PR code for 312mm brakes is 1LT or 1LF

Part number for the disks is 8E0 615 301R

The TT carriers are part number 8N0 615 125

Interestingly, the A6 carriers mentioned above, (4B0 615 125 A) are cheaper than the TT ones, and looking at the fixings appear to use the narrow spacing, so if your buying new, that might be a better part to buy?

i can get a set of s8 brakes which should just fit in my wheels but is there carriers available for these? and are those rs4 b5 brakes a direct swap like?

i have a set of audi b5 rs4 calipers and brand new 360mm discs with new braided hoses and heatsheilds that will bolt straight on to your car for £550
pm me if interested

Bit steep for me at the mo as ive just spent quite a lot in the last few weeks. And I rekon I can get the brand new 312mm set up for half that ( will find out today)

i know this might sound daft but what do you mean by the uprights?

The suspension leg that holds the wheel bearings etc, that the calipers bolt onto.

S4 and RS4's have a wider bolt spacing on the caliper mounts.

aragon- Cheers for part numbers the a6 carriers are 60+vat cheaper for the pair!.. I cant get the carriers and discs for £300 all in. But then plus pads as well.. So think this will have to wait for a month as the wife would kill me if she found out what ive spent so far in the last week!

cool, what are the A6 parts coming in at?

Personally i'd be buying the disks from a motorfactors or ECP. Theres no point paying Audi premium for a lump of metal.

ahright so is that essentially the hub?

colloqially perhaps.

The upright contains the hub.

This is a hub:
TM512231.jpg

This is an upright:
DSC01251.jpg

As you can see, the hub is fitted TO the upright, along with the bearings, caliper, suspension arms etc.

The A6 Carriers retail at £180+vat and the TT carriers retail at £244+vat but I get nearly 50% of these figures

ahh i see now! cheers for the picture mate! are they expensive? and would all my normal arms fit them?

50% off! Is that trade prices, or dealer special pat on the back prices?

Vag parts used to sell the carriers for £100ish for the pair, but they've gone bust and no-where has really replaced them.

Jonny: The S4 uprights will fit your arms, however you'll need to change the CV joints/driveshafts as the S4 upright has larger hubs/bearings.

Prices vary in the used market, but i'd expect you could get a set for under £100 without too much trouble

I buy any parts at cost as work at the dealer. Trade normall get 10% off. The discount % depends on teh items really as some have much higher mark ups than others

would upgrading the discs to 312mm as oppose to the 288mm which is the normal size really make a noticeable difference? i just dont see how big a difference it would make as the same pressure is coming fom the caliper? and is it worth gettin drilled and grooved etc?

Yes it will make a big difference.
The further from the centre that the pad 'grips' the better the stopping power.
Too late at night for the physics lesson so just trust me on that one.

Is it worth getting grooved/drilled/dimpled/slotted discs?
No it is not.

Laws of leverage make it work.

As for discs, some say yes some say no. The grooves or holes are there to aid in heat dissapation and remove gasses/energy from the contact of pad to disc which occur when using brakes heavy, which in turn helps brake fade. So if its just a road going car then it wouldnt be worth the extra costs of these discs for daily driving etc.

hmm this might be an idea for a little brake upgrade then, its a bit juddery at top end, what about pad reccommendations is there a big difference between ebc green stuff and standard motorfactors pads? or is it all just a name?

As for discs, some say yes some say no. The grooves or holes are there to aid in heat dissapation and remove gasses/energy from the contact of pad to disc which occur when using brakes heavy, which in turn helps brake fade. So if its just a road going car then it wouldnt be worth the extra costs of these discs for daily driving etc.
Even for track use I wouldn't bother.
I prep a lot of cars for road track and purely track use.
I never use anything other than blank discs on them, simply not worth it in 90+% of cases.
Assuming you use good pads of course. Today's pads rarely suffer from the gassing problems that grooves alleviate.
And drilled tend to crack too easily when used hard (especially considering the questionable benefits they give)

EBC Greens are a little better than usual motor factor replacements. But they're not that great.
But good brake pads usually come at a price. If you use EBC I'd go for Reds or even Yellows.
I use Hawks on all of the cars I use/prep.. I tried some a while back(along with about 10 others) now recommend them and supply them.

ahh right cheers for the help so are these hawk pads good for normal road and non track use too?

They do various compoundsfrom fast road up to full on race stuff.
So the short answer is yes.

I've got a 4 pot Brembo kit sat in the garage with new 324mm S4 disks and brackets to fit both the B5 and B6 hubs. I intended to fit them to my A4 Avant but never got round to it. Looking for £400 for everything, calipers, disks, pads and brackets.

How big are the pistons in the brembo calipers?

Theres a lot of deathtrap kits knocking around using calipers that have far too small pistons, likely plucked from some porsche or similar without a clue as to how brakes work.