damaged turbo?

jonnyf

Reaction score
I took my turbo, intake manifold and exhaust manifold all apart today to give it all a good clean and discovered that the turbine in the turbo has a bit of play in it! does this mean its on its way out or should it have a degree of play in it? if it needs fixing how much for a new trubo? or to get it repaired? or perhaps take that step towards a hybrid! i have no idea how much this would affect performance as its still boosting at 18psi after a chip tune! Cheers for any help!

A bit of radial play is ok, its the axial (front to back) and excessive radial (side to side) which is bad, is there any signs of damage to the impeller/compressor wheels or scraping in the housings?

Last edited:
No there is no scrapings etc the play is side to side, but at the moment is still functioning okay! just had a quick look there now and it definately doesnt look to be scraping. But it was a bit noisy as if it was rubbing when it was on the car and my tuner mentioned it too! new update from turbo dynamics say that they can uprate it for as low as £450 lol

Looks like that kit is for a VNT turbo.

Play in a turbo shaft is pretty normal, certainly in the side-to-side direction.

When the engine is running the shaft floats on a film of oil, which keeps it running true.

If theres play in the in-out direction, then thats indicative of severe wear, and the turbos needing rebuilt.

Also, turbo rebuilding is a fine art. Is not something you can cobble together in your garage. The rotating assembly turns at speeds in excess of 100000rpm, and needs to be precicely balanced to ensure it doesnt selfdestruct.

i emailed him and he said it would fit mind! but i think if side to side play is okay then i wont bother with it until i decide to upgrade lol cheers for the help Aragorn!