1996 Audi A4 AFN... wanting to fit a 6 speed gearbox..

SyncroGhia

Reaction score
Website
www.performanceghia.co.uk
I've got a 1996 Audi A4 Avant which has been the moon and back but the gearbox is now notchy and doesn't like selecting 1st gear.
I've picked up a 6 speed Gearbox (01E type, ARX code) from a 1997 Audi A6 2.5 TDi (5 cylinder AEL).
I've worked out the gear ratios etc and have found that 1-5 are just about the same and 6th drops the rpms to about 2150rpm @ 70mph.
I know the gearbox will bolt up to the engine (re input shaft and CV joints are the same) but I don't know what to expect re gearbox mounts and shifter bits and pieces..

Has anyone tried this?

Cheers
MG

Cv joints wont fit, the pass side mount wont work,the linkage will need to be swapped, the wiring will need tweaking to suit the reverse light and speed sensor.

So in short to use it you will need to modify the subframe to suit the 01e box mounts, use the linkage from the donor car. Uprights from a V6 with matching shafts and Cvs. That should do it.

Add to that a 1.8t will only just pull it at motorway speeds i doubt a 1.6 will sadly. The ratios are the same but the diff ratio is not.

I have been there and done this on my last car a 1.8t converted A4

Mark, AFN is a 1.9TDi, but i agree with your point. I'll try and dig out the diff ratio, because if its different enough it might mean theres no difference at all.

SyncroGhia: What code is your current gearbox? Its on the sticker in the boot, or in the front of the service book.

Hi and thanks for the replies.
Yup it's a 1.9 AFN 110bhp. I've fitted .216 nozzles to it and tweaked it a bit so it's not running stock.
Current gearbox is a DHF.
I've plugged the ratios into my gearbox calculator and yes you're right, the final drive ratios are slightly different but so are the gear ratios and the mix of both ends up with 1-5 not being far off and 6th as an extra gear on top.
You can see the comparison here.

ARXvsDHF.jpg

I'm not so worried about the engine being able to pull 6th gear, afterall the ARX was fitted to A6's with the 2.5TDi 115bhp and I'm sure it's got atleast that at present. I'm more interested as to what I've got to do to get it in.

The CV joints are the same size from the DHF to the ARX, why won't they fit?

Mount.. ok what do I have to do to the subframe? are we talking dropping the subframe to modify a section to accept a different style of mount? I've heard people say that a V6 TDi gearbox won't fit but this is from a 5 Cyl... are they they same gearbox 5 Cyl to V6?

Wiring won't be a problem, I'll just fit new fittings to the loom which will work with the ARX.

MG

A4 2.5tdi boxes had huge 130mm tripod inner CV joints.

Given your box is from a C4 A6, it might have the smaller ones already

The mounting will depend on what the nearside mount looks like. 4cyl A4's use a flat doughnut mount on the offside, and a standy-up D shaped mount on the nearside. V6's use a doughnut on both sides, and from what i can tell, Audi used the same brackets (from the S4) for the 01E so it uses two doughnuts.

I've no idea if the C4 mounts will fit the b5 subframe, or if you'll need to find B5 mounts, but if the C4 uses a doughnut on the nearside, or you use B5 mounts, you'll have to remove the subframe and either weld on a platform to take the doughnut mount, or alternatively fit a V6 subframe.

Ok I didn't mean to upset anyone on here... just asking questions.

My current gearbox already has the larger 130mm tripod CV joints. Not sure if this is normal or not for the DHF.

Will the linkage just swap over and fit the transmission tunnel or do I have to alter it in length, welding mods etc?

Thanks again
MG

Interesting that your car already has tripod inner CV's, i've never heard of that before.

If the linkage came from an A4, it'd probably fit right on.

No idea if the C4 part is the same though. Might be worth getting a copy of ETKA and cross referencing the part numbers.