Temp Sensor (G62)

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
Evenin all
vag com'd the motor today and got...

16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62) implausible signal
P0116 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Checked the wiring and connector, cleared the fault but it returned later. So needing to replace sensor. Is this sensor ok to get from Eurocar parts for the AJL engine? http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/A...368ad08360e3b4adf13e40db2d5319e69ca5e6a1&ENTS
I've read that the newer sensors should be green, these appear to be black. What ya reckon??
cheers :think:
Si.

before you jump in, hows the thermostat?

Does the dash guage come up to 90 and stay there?

Your fault is "implausible" signal. A dodgy stat can cause that code, as the temp doesnt stay nice and steady.

Sensor is only about 25-30quid from audi iirc.

Ahh, ****** good point!
No the temp gauge isnt that steady and does go up and down and I suspected the stat needed doing but I really was hoping the sensor might cure this!
Ok then lol where's the thermostat? I'm expecting the answer of "it's a front off job" which is one of the reasons I never bothered with it on my old v6 coz it was near impossible without the cambelt off
Si.

Do the stat first then, the guage should come up to 90 within a few miles and stay there. Basically if the temperature drops once its up to temp, the ECU thinks WTF?! and flags the fault code.

Its really easy on a 1.8T

Drop the undertray and lift the NSF corner onto a stand.

Follow the bottom rad hose up to the water pump, you'll see a plastic elbow attached with two bolts.

Pop the bolts out and pull the elbow off the the stat is right there (i removed the random brackety/stay thing to get more space to remove the bolts).

I've found that the easiest way to refit it, is to detach the elbow from the hose, and tuck the hose out the way, which lets you balance the stat and seal on top of the elbow and fit it in place, before reattaching the hose.

You'll need about 6 litres of coolant to refill.

Thanks aragorn matey. You've stuck with me on every post I've made about this car so far and I really appreciate it pal, you're a real credit to the site. I'm on a steep learning curve with this engine and I'm lovin it so far ;)
Got n75 fault as well so am just off to see what I can find out about that before I go asking q's that have been asked squillions of times already
Si.

You were spot on aragorn. Stat changed and fault gone, steady gauge and G62 fault cleared. Thankyou!