Spoiler or no spoiler???

Foxmeister

Fired Up!
Reaction score
Whats peoples views on this???

Personally i think the B5 is one of a small minority of cars that can actually look better without any spoiler......although saying that when you start adding bumpers and skirts it can pull off a lip spoiler to blend in.

We've seen the small lip type that most people have, but are there any other out there that are different??? (please no scooby surfboards etc)

I was thinking about getting a small lip spoiler, there on ebay for around 15 squid but since putting my rear end back together i think it looks good without it. Still undecieded though, might get one and spray it up and see what its like
Not really any help but thats my thoughts!!

I hate the saloon spoiler. I don't like the support in the middle and the fact that it obscures the third brake light.

Some Boras came with a nicer looking spoiler. Tempted to find one on eBay and try and fit it to my bootlid. Quite rare though.

No spoiler! Smooth n clean! Been tempted myself with the lip spoiler but see hundreds of beemers with them and think better of it. But up to you mate, they do look good

I'll go with the general concensus here. I prefer the 'loon with no spoiler at all.

Though I will concede that with the right wheels and stance a nice roof/rear window spoiler thingy can look good.

I like the small lip spoiler. Not too much but just enough to make it look a little meaner. I sometimes think they look a little plain without it but depends on the rest of the car.

I have still the original Spoiler on that came with the car and the Votex Audi Kit..it is all to do with fashion I think.

At the moment these Spoilers are out of so-called fashion but like everything else in life clothes ect it will come back again for sure so if you have one do not throw it away chances are over time you will want to buy one..

Nobody as mentioned the intension of a spoiler the BMW one looks ok but must have very little or no affect on the design and use of a spoiler to which it was meant to fit unlike the Spoiler everyone is foresaking for the latest so-called look..

Please before everyone starts shouting the odds this is my personal view only...

Last edited:
Agree with Monster that the lip spoilers probably have zero downforce benefit, but having had my car up at Vmax and it still remaining stable I think that the B5 doesn't really need the additional downforce at the rear.

I've previously had a lip spoiler but for the last 18 months have driven round without one. Must admit I think the car does look better with one fitted, so it is something I want to replace at some point.

I actually like the M3 lip spoiler, its not over board and looks quite discreet.

Pretty open view then.

Im still undecided, times i see lots of saloons without and think its cleaner etc and suits it, then others look nice with the lip spoiler.

Problem i have is i dont follow the same trend and usually like to try something different, as such i have not yet seen a B6 S4 style lip spoiler fitted to a B5. Like the bulky look of it and its different from the tried and tested small BMW lip style, then again im not sure if it'll be too much to look at on the B5's ar$e! Might just bite the bullet and try it, worst scenario and it can be removed.

DSCN0351.jpg

The genuine BMW Compact spoiler is also deeper than the 'M3 style' lip spoilers. Another option worth a look into if the B6 spoiler doesn't work out.

The genuine BMW Compact spoiler is also deeper than the 'M3 style' lip spoilers. Another option worth a look into if the B6 spoiler doesn't work out.

Yep, picked up on that aswell, think Docurely had one on his B5??? Cheers for that mate!