thinking of getting a a4 quattro

daz616

Reaction score
ive got a 2.6 v6 a4 b5 and love it but want to upgrade to the 2.8 quattro is there anything i should be looking out for any comman problems that sort of thing

thanks in advance

check the steering!!pas racks are very expensive to replace£400+ ! even down to the type of fluid used.replacing the cam belt is a big job and costly.my 2.8q has done 175k and apart from a slightly poor idle,it runs like its done 75k.go for one with a good history,

I would think your better going for the 1.8t quattro.

2.8q is a nice relaxing drive where the torque does the talkin - the 1.8t run well but imo only when ur giving it any my last one struggled up hills when plodding along lol

I would think your better going for the 1.8t quattro.

i'v always had a v6 over turbo just like the pure grunt of a v6 iv had turbo's before and feel you have to give it some beans to get the best out of it

Agreed. Most of the older turbo'd cars are sluggish off boost....

My advice would be to buy one with a FSH inc the FULL cambelt service. Obvious checks aside...... Check for smoke from the rocker covers. Listen for knocking at slow speeds over bumps. Check for a lumpy idle. Look in the history for evidence of regular oil changes (every 5k). Remember that regardless of mileage the cambelt and all associated parts need to be done every 5 years max due to belt degrading/weathering. Try your best to find a facelift one! Oh, and ref the quattro system listen for whining from the diff on the testdrive and a banging sound under hard changes/acceleration. Those are the main points in my experience, but hey every car is different and comes with its own unique lottery ticket!

i'v always had a v6 over turbo just like the pure grunt of a v6 iv had turbo's before and feel you have to give it some beans to get the best out of it

What about an v6 tdi quattro ? You can have the best of best worlds: v6 noise and torque but with diesel ecconomy- ok is not as good as a 4 pot tdi but it will average 40Mpg+ on a long run and the torque is much more than the 2.8 can muster. 130-140 Mph top speed and a 6 speed gearbox as standard... by the way, my soupped-up v6 tdi quattro is for sale ! It will be slightly de-tuned to about 200Bhp as the big turbo goes towards my new toy...