2.8Q rear diff oil

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
I've noticed a quite a build up of oil on my rear diff, it's not badly leaking, no drips onto the drive or anything, but I'm conscious that it must need a top up. Anyone know how this is done and what fluid to use?

having the same problem with my S4 mate, dont suppose this is hard but mine is so low that i cant get under it and if i jack it up then it prob wont drain properly.

ohhh must be catching , but mines leaking from the front final drive, but goes in next week to have seals done

according to audi it should be gear oil sae 75w 90 synthetic

You need a large type syringe with a flexi hose or something you can pump the fluid up in into the diff with. ITS A *******. All you need is axle oil from audi ref the oil. Big white bottle that says "axle oil" funnily enough.....

easiest way is to take the wheel off, and slide a pipe from the wheel arch to the diff filler.... use a funnel or from the 1 litre bottles...

easiest way is to take the wheel off, and slide a pipe from the wheel arch to the diff filler.... use a funnel or from the 1 litre bottles...
That worked a treat, thanks. With the help of my 7 year old son under the car holding the hose in the hole - not very health & safety I know.
God that gear oil stinks.
I had to use a 3 foot breaker bar to release the filler plug (after I had returned to Halfords to get a half inch 10mm hex bit for it). The drain plug was no problem, however 1 litre is not enough, so got to top it up with some more tomorrow. The stuff that came out was pretty foul, but lots of it so my worries about it running dry were unfounded.
Car seems exactly the same so another job well done.

The diff takes 1.5L, 75w90 Synthetic gear oil.

Your lucky the fill plug came out lol, both me and mark rounded our fill plugs :(

Thanks aragorn, I used Castrol Syntrax 75w90. Why do they always sell oil so one is not enough and 2 is too much.
I was lucky I guess, someone had already graunched it a bit, so I thought it was going to be a problem. Even with 3 foot of leverage it was hard work, a very loud crack when it finally gave up, thought I'd snapped yet another tool! Crazy as it only needs to be semi tight as it's not under any sort of pressure.